Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSmoking
IN THE NEWS

Smoking

BREAKINGNEWS
By ROXANN MILLLER | roxann.miller@herald-mail.com | November 29, 2011
South Main Street in Chambersburg, between Washington and Liberty streets, was closed to traffic for about 90 minutes as fire crews responded to a fire at 256 S. Main St. just after noon Tuesday. Chambersburg Emergency Services Chief William FitzGerald said the building has apartments on the first and second floor, but neither apartment was occupied at the time of the blaze. FitzGerald said the first floor was being used as a meeting place for Alcoholics Anonymous. He said the fire started in a bathroom on the first floor.
Advertisement
LIFESTYLE
October 28, 2011
War Memorial Hospital and Valley Health Wellness & Fitness Services will offer a free program "No Ifs, Ands, or Butts: You Can Be Tobacco Free" at noon Tuesday, Nov. 8, at War Memorial Hospital. Kelly Walker, a health educator, will discuss general information about tobacco cessation, tips for quitting smoking, FDA-approved medications for tobacco cessation, etc.  The class is open to the public. Registration is required by Friday, Nov. 4.  For more information or to register, call 800-662-7831.
NEWS
By DAN DEARTH | dan.dearth@herald-mail.com | October 27, 2011
Hagerstown fire officials said working smoke detectors are why a 7-year-old boy wasn't injured more seriously Thursday morning when a fire started in a bedroom of his West End apartment. “I think smoke detectors did their job and prevented a tragedy,” Hagerstown Fire Chief W. Kyd Dieterich said. Dieterich said three people were home when the fire started shortly after 6 a.m. at 838 W. Washington St. He said the family was able to get out of the building without suffering serious injury.
OPINION
By TIM ROWLAND | timr@herald-mail.com | October 26, 2011
I am a registered Republican. I forget why. I think it's a vestigial toe left over from the era when Republicans were the way I liked them: Evil, but sane. In the days before they would, no lie, openly urge businesses not to hire new workers under the theory that American prosperity will be counterproductive to their political goals. So I have been paying little attention to this (still more than a year away) election that's shaping up to be a production of President Obama and the Seven Dwarfs.
NEWS
October 18, 2011
The home in which a 4-year-old boy died Monday night was equipped with smoke detectors, Chambersburg's emergency services director said. However, the detector had been removed from the room in which the fire started, Chambersburg Emergency Services Chief William FitzGerald said. "It's a shame at the end of fire prevention week that something like this has to happen and drive home what we try to preach daily about smoke detectors and home sprinkler systems," FitzGerald said. In April, the borough of Chambersburg launched a smoke detector program, through grant funding, allowing the fire department to install more than 400 smoke detectors this year, according to FitzGerald.
OPINION
September 29, 2011
"I'm calling regarding the discussion of smoking at the Meritus Medical Center. It's my belief that the medical center should not support, in any way, smoking on their facility. They are a health-conscious organization, and just as they would not promote people drinking on the job or taking a break to ... take alcoholic drinks, they should not give breaks to people, to employees, to smoke during the day. " - Washington County "The Republicans in Congress refuse to raise taxes on the millionaires, billionaires and corporations, while the burden of attempting to balance the budget remains on the backs of the middle class and the poor.
NEWS
September 22, 2011
An electrical malfunction in a stereo speaker caused a fire that sent a Clear Spring woman to the hospital Thursday morning to be treated for smoke inhalation, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said. Cindy Wilkinson, of 11706 Rocky Meadow Road in Clear Spring, was taken to Meritus Medical Center east of Hagerstown, according to a fire marshal's office news release. Wilkinson was not listed as a patient shortly before 9 a.m. Thursday, a hospital spokeswoman said. Authorities said the fire started at 5:46 a.m. Thursday, when a stereo speaker on a living room shelf in the two-story home caught fire.
NEWS
August 1, 2011
A kitchen fire was reported at 801 View St. in Hagerstown at about 11:15 a.m. Monday, a supervisor for Washington County Emergency Services said. The smoke detectors went off in the house because of burnt food, the supervisor said.. The smoke was cleared out and the scene was cleared by 11:30 a.m., according to the supervisor.
NEWS
By ROXANN MILLER | roxann.miller@herald-mail.com | July 22, 2011
Eight emergency departments responded to a house fire in Greencastle Friday night. When firefighters arrived, they found heavy smoke pouring from the second floor of 36 West Franklin St., said Deputy Fire Chief JR Koons of the Greencastle Rescue Hose Co. The fire, which was reported at about 6:45 p.m., was under control by shortly after 7 p.m., Koons said at the scene. The cause was still under investigation. No one was home at the time of the fire, and there were no injuries, Koons said.  The home suffered mostly smoke and heat damage and can be refurbished, he said.
NEWS
July 7, 2011
A report of smoke coming from the basement of a house on 100 Saint Paul Street in Boonsboro Thursday turned out to be the result of a chemical the town put in its drainage system, a supervisor for Washington County Emergency Services said. The town put the chemical in its drainage system to test for leaks, according to the supervisor. However, it can cause smoke to come up from pipes in houses, which is what happened on 100 Saint Paul Street. The Boonsboro Fire Department responded to the call at 11:20 a.m., but it was cleared up by 11:45.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|