May 2, 2013
An electrical malfunction in a ceiling fan in a first floor bathroom caused smoke to build-up in a house at 13502 Halifax Drive Thursday night, according to a spokesman for the Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. Firefighters removed the fan from the house in Hagerstown's North End and damage was minimal, said Sgt. Jeremy Smiley. Smiley said people in the house off Longmeadow Road decided to stay in a hotel for the night. Firefighters received the call at 9:12 p.m.
April 28, 2013
Adam LaRoche's slump is now at 26 hitless at-bats with strikeouts accounting for half the outs. Unfamiliarity with Reds rookie pitcher Tony Cingrani had the Nationals collectively looking awkward at the plate. With a chance to complete a four-game series sweep, Washington struck out 11 times against the left-hander - including four in one inning - and 14 overall against five Cincinnati pitchers in a 5-2 loss to the Reds on Sunday. In his third career start, Cingrani (2-0) pitched six scoreless innings and allowed only two hits, one coming off the bat of Nationals rookie Anthony Rendon.
April 27, 2013
Four Hickory errors helped the Hagerstown Suns build an early four-run lead en route to an 8-2 victory over the Crawdads on Saturday at Municipal Stadium. The miscues extended the first, fourth and fifth innings and allowed the Suns (12-11) to take a 4-1 lead. The errors were too much for the Crawdads (14-9) despite two more home runs to pad their South Atlantic League-leading total. Kylin Turnbull (1-0) returned to the Suns and immediately notched a victory with six innings of three-hit pitching, allowing one run without a walk while striking out seven.
April 7, 2013
Hagerstown Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said he expected tenants of a downtown Hagerstown apartment building would be able to return to their homes Sunday after a report of smoke in the building's basement. Hagerstown firefighters responded to 25 1/2 W. Franklin St. at about 4:45 p.m. Sunday for the incident. No injuries were reported, officials said. DeHaven said the smoke came from a basement mechanical room that contained a furnace, but he did not know Sunday afternoon whether the smoke came from the furnace.
March 20, 2013
Russell Eardley Jr. was given a surprise 80th birthday party and luncheon hosted by his family Feb. 3 at Christ Evangelical Lutheran Church in Hagerstown. His wife, Lois Eardley, recently died, and in her memory, the family provided funding for the installation of a smoke alarm system for Spread Your Wings Learning Center, a preschool program for 3-, 4- and 5-year-olds, which newly opened in the church in January and is now accepting new students. “Family means everything to me,” Russell Eardley said.
March 11, 2013
Authorities are expected to reopen Dual Highway soon after they responded to the 1600 block of the road for a smoke condition in a house, according to a Washington County 911 supervisor. It turned out the problem was a furnace malfunction, the supervisor said. There was no fire in the house and no one was hurt, the supervisor said. The intersection of Dual Highway and Edgewood Drive was shut down to allow crews access to the home, the supervisor said about 2 p.m. The call for the investigation went out at 1:42 p.m.
January 24, 2013
Traffic was snarled in the 16700 block of U.S. 40 west of Hagerstown while firefighters investigated a call for smoke at the New Delmar Inn, a Washington County Emergency Services supervisor said. The incident was reported at noon Thursday.
October 18, 2012
One person suffered smoke inhalation and four others were displaced when a fire started in the basement of a home early Thursday at 229 E. Franklin St. in Hagerstown, a city spokeswoman said. Hagerstown spokeswoman Erin Wolfe said the fire, which was reported around midnight, started in a breaker box. She said damage was limited to the basement, and firefighters cleared the scene by 1:30 a.m. The Red Cross was called to help the people who were displaced. Wolfe said one resident was transported by Community Rescue Service to Meritus Medical Center east of Hagerstown to be treated for smoke inhalation.
September 4, 2012
A call for possible smoke coming out of a shop off West Lee Street around 7:40 p.m. Tuesday turned out to be a false alarm as the smoke was coming out of an exhaust stack, a Washington County Emergency Services supervisor said. Potomac Towers resident Jerry Weddle, 70, said he was watching “Jeopardy” in his sixth-floor apartment, when he saw smoke coming out of what looked like the corner of the nearby shop. Apparatus Repair & Engineering is in the shop, which is next to Ellsworth Electric at 88 W. Lee St. - Julie E. Greene
July 16, 2012
The Chambersburg Borough Council announced Monday it has received a federal grant for what the borough manager describes as “one of the most important programs developed by the Chambersburg Fire Department.” Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr., D-Pa., and U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., assisted the borough in obtaining $65,430 from a Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, Fire Prevention and Life Safety Education grant. It will be used to continue the installation of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, as well as to train citizens in fire prevention.