Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSmoke Inhalation
IN THE NEWS

Smoke Inhalation

NEWS
by PEPPER BALLARD | December 27, 2006
FREDERICK, Md. - A 15-year-old boy was killed Saturday night in a Frederick town house fire that allegedly was set by his autistic twin brother, according to a press release from the Maryland State Fire Marshal. Jerrell Williamson was killed when the fire broke out Saturday at 11:23 p.m. in the second-floor bedroom that the autistic twins shared at 6734 Sandpiper Court in Frederick, according to the release. Jerrell's twin brother, Joshua Williamson; their mother, Carolyn Stone; and her boyfriend, Raymond Pullian, escaped the blaze, according to the release.
Advertisement
NEWS
By ROXANN MILLER | roxann.miller@herald-mail.com | March 1, 2011
One man was treated at and released from Chambersburg (Pa.) Hospital for smoke inhalation after a fire Tuesday at his home at 247 Colorado St. in Marion. Cassie Hershey of Marion Fire Co. said when firefighters arrived at the multifamily brick home around 1 p.m. Tuesday, smoke was showing from the first floor and fire was coming out a first-floor window. "The homeowner said he had an electric heater and tried to use it last night (Monday), and it wouldn't work," Hershey said.
NEWS
December 19, 2010
A Brunswick man died and three others were injured in a house fire Saturday night in Brunswick, according to news releases from the Frederick County Bureau of Investigation and the Frederick County Sheriff’s Office. Firefighters found the deceased— identified Sunday as James Franklin Fox, 56 — in his house as they began to fight the fire, police said. The fire, at 906 East C St. in Brunswick, was reported at 7:32 p.m. Saturday through numerous 911 calls, police said.
NEWS
by CANDICE BOSELY | February 19, 2005
martinsburg@herald-mail.com RANSON, W.Va. - A fire at an auto repair shop in Ranson Friday afternoon damaged a couple of customers' cars and a section of the building's roof, and sent an employee to the hospital for smoke inhalation, Independent Fire Co. Chief Ed Smith said. Fire crews were dispatched to Ramey's Auto Repair at 314 N. Mildred St. at 1:38 p.m. An "aggressive interior attack" was initiated and firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze in about 20 minutes, Smith said.
NEWS
By JULIE E. GREENE | September 29, 1999
An intentionally set fire at the Holiday Motel this morning could have cost lives because the smoke detectors weren't working, said Hagerstown Fire Marshal Tom Brown. "To be honest, we had the potential here to lose a number of people. It was a very serious incident ... We were probably within a few minutes of losing a couple of people in this building," Brown said. The first Hagerstown firefighters responded to the 12 N. Prospect St. motel within a minute of being dispatched at 7:30 a.m., according to Washington County Fire and Rescue Communications.
NEWS
By DAVE McMILLION | August 9, 2007
RANSON, W.VA. - People are not the only ones who can suffer from smoke inhalation in a house fire. Over the years, local firefighters said they have encountered many situations where pets have been trapped in smoky conditions and need help. Pets in Jefferson County will now be in good hands after the county's six volunteer fire departments on Wednesday were given special breathing masks for cats and dogs. The breathing masks were donated to firefighters by the Briggs Animal Adoption Center, a nonprofit animal welfare organization south of Charles Town along U.S. 340. In the past, local firefighters have worked to help pets suffering from smoke inhalation by using a "makeshift" system with regular breathing masks, said Dave Swan, ambulance chief for Independent Fire Co. in Ranson.
NEWS
By BRENDAN KIRBY | March 16, 2000
A toddler playing with a cigarette lighter caused a fire that damaged a house on North Locust Street last week, Hagerstown Fire Marshal Tom Brown said Wednesday. A 2-year-old boy found a lighter and accidentally set fire to bedding in his mother's room at 242 1/2 N. Locust St., Brown said. The fire severely damaged the second floor of the duplex and injured the boy's 5-year-old brother, who was treated at Washington County Hospital for smoke inhalation. Brown said that Mike Weller, the Hagerstown Fire Department's public education officer, has spoken with family at least three times since the fire.
NEWS
July 1, 2008
ROUZERVILLE, Pa. -- Several occupants of a mobile home were treated for burns and possible smoke inhalation as the trailer burned Monday morning, according to Blue Ridge (Pa.) Fire and Rescue Squad officials. The fire at 11728 Pen Mar Road Extended, Lot 40, was reported at 10:47 a.m., Squad Administrator Patrick E. Fleagle said. "Firefighters were met with heavy black smoke showing," Fleagle said. Two adults and two children were inside the home at the time, and all medical treatment was administered at the scene.
NEWS
April 22, 2009
WILLIAMSPORT -- A Williamsport man was in critical condition Thursday morning in a Baltimore hospital following a house fire Wednesday morning. Kenny Wright suffered smoke inhalation and was taken to Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center in Baltimore, where he was listed in critical condition Thursday morning, a hospital spokeswoman said. The blaze at 316 S. Artizan St. was reported at 3:59 a.m., a Washington County Emergency Services dispatcher said. Numerous fire and rescue units responded to the scene, the dispatcher said.
NEWS
August 3, 2004
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - A Chambersburg man was flown to the University of Maryland Shock Trauma Unit in Baltimore following a fire at his home Sunday night, according to Pennsylvania State Police. Kenneth L. Sollenberger, 83, of 83 Kennedy Drive, was listed in serious but stable condition Monday night, according to a hospital spokeswoman. Trooper Stanford Sydnor, the state police fire marshal, said the fire at Sollenberger's home, reported at 10:08 p.m., appeared to have started in the living room.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|