Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSmoke Inhalation
IN THE NEWS

Smoke Inhalation

NEWS
by BRIAN SHAPPELL | September 29, 2003
MERCERSBURG, Pa - A Mercersburg man who leapt from a burning South Main Street building Friday was upgraded to good condition Sunday morning at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, a spokeswoman said. William Hamilton, whose age was not released, of 5 Main St. in Mercersburg, was hospitalized after he jumped from the second story of the Carriage House Hotel during a fire that began just after 6 a.m. Friday. Hours after the incident, a hospital spokeswoman said Hamilton was in serious condition.
Advertisement
NEWS
July 5, 1998
Someone broke into a recreational vehicle parked near The Storage Bin on Eldridge Drive between June 26 and July 3, according to a report from the Hagerstown Police Department. After breaking a side window and unlocking the vehicle, the burglar entered and stole a television, VCR, silverware, blankets and a jacket. The value of the stolen property is estimated at $1,060. FREDERICK, Md. - Two more men were charged with indecent exposure Friday morning at the Interstate 270 scenic overlook, according to a report from Maryland State Police.
NEWS
January 4, 1998
Man saves son in W.Va. blaze FALLING WATERS, W.Va. - A 35-year-old man was hospitalized for smoke inhalation and burns after carrying his son from a burning house early Sunday morning. Mike Kenny was in stable condition at City Hospital in Martinsburg Sunday night, according to a nursing supervisor. Bedington Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Robbie Robinson said Kenny suffered first- and second-degree burns to his arms, face and back, but the more serious concern was smoke inhalation.
NEWS
January 14, 2012
The number of fatal fires in Maryland increased in 2011, but fewer people died in those blazes than in 2010, according to the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office. There were 56 fatal fires in 2011, compared with 50 in 2010, Maryland State Fire Marshal William E. Barnard said in a news release. Sixty-seven people died in fires in 2011, compared with 71 in 2010, according to the release. There was one fatal fire in Washington County. Delbert G. Summerville, 88, of 12809 The Terrace in Hagerstown, died Feb. 23, 2011, one day after being trapped in the basement of his burning home.
NEWS
by DON AINES | February 27, 2004
chambersburg@herald-mail.com A 23-year-old woman died and a man was injured Thursday afternoon in a fire that broke out in their apartment on Roxbury Road in Southampton Township, Pennsylvania State Police in Franklin County said. Jennifer Leigh Helman was pronounced dead at Chambersburg Hospital at 4:40 p.m., police said. Todd Michael Helman, 37, was treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital and released, police said. The two were sleeping in their second-floor apartment at 905 Roxbury Road when the bed caught on fire, police said.
NEWS
April 15, 1999
A child was injured in a fire that started in the basement of a Hagerstown home Thursday evening, according to Deputy Chief John Latimer, of the Long Meadow Volunteer Fire Department. The child was taken to the Washington County Hospital for smoke inhalation, he said. "He was taken for observation. It wasn't serious," said Latimer. Latimer said the firefighters were called to 12828 Cathedral Ave. around 7 p.m. by the homeowners. He did not know their names. The homeowners told the Washington County Fire and Rescue dispatcher that an electrical fire had started in the basement of their brick ranch home, said Latimer.
NEWS
July 15, 1998
INWOOD, W.Va. - It took firefighters about four hours Tuesday afternoon to control a hay fire at a farm on Valley View Acres Road in Inwood. South Berkeley Volunteer Fire Company Capt. Kenny Barrett said the fire at the farm of David DeHaven was called in at about 3:15 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found about 200 round bales of hay between two barns on fire. Barrett said front-end loaders were used to separate the bales into two fires in order to better control them.
NEWS
February 1, 2004
WASHINGTON TOWNSHIP, Pa. - A Washington Township woman died Saturday morning as a result of a fire at her Orchard Road home, according to Franklin County Coroner Jeffrey R. Conner. Carol R. Ausherman, 46, of 11341 Orchard Road, died from smoke inhalation, Conner said. Conner said Ausherman was found in her living room. The fire was reported by a neighbor shortly before 10 a.m., according to Lt. Bob Blizzard of the Waynesboro Fire Department. Firefighters were at the scene until 11:38 a.m., he said.
NEWS
by ANDREW SCHOTZ | March 4, 2003
Clothes piled near a bathroom electric heater caught fire Monday at an apartment at 208 East Ave., a fire official said. Hagerstown Fire Department Battalion Chief Randy Myers said a man was asleep at the apartment, but a woman came home and woke him because a smoke detector was going off. Emergency officials identified the tenant as Isaiah Burker. Community Rescue Service took Burker to Washington County Hospital, where he was treated and released. Myers said Burker suffered smoke inhalation.
NEWS
January 28, 2008
Gunmen sought in W.Va. robbery MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Two masked men robbed residents of a Martinsburg-area home at gunpoint Friday night, according to a Berkeley County Sheriff's Department press release. No one was injured in the altercation, which was reported at 8:52 p.m., police said. Sheriff's Deputy Daniel White and other deputies responded within two minutes to a report of a robbery in progress at 108 Cotta Lane, which is east of Martinsburg off Jenny Wren Drive, police said.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|