Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSmoke Detector
IN THE NEWS

Smoke Detector

NEWS
by DON AINES | February 27, 2004
chambersburg@herald-mail.com A 23-year-old woman died and a man was injured Thursday afternoon in a fire that broke out in their apartment on Roxbury Road in Southampton Township, Pennsylvania State Police in Franklin County said. Jennifer Leigh Helman was pronounced dead at Chambersburg Hospital at 4:40 p.m., police said. Todd Michael Helman, 37, was treated for smoke inhalation at the hospital and released, police said. The two were sleeping in their second-floor apartment at 905 Roxbury Road when the bed caught on fire, police said.
Advertisement
NEWS
by MARLO BARNHART | January 5, 2004
marlob@herald-mail.com As Rochelle Morrell prepares to lead Children's Village of Washington County into its 14th year, she has a clear vision of the impact this unique agency has and will continue to have on the communities it serves. "Our children are our ambassadors," Morrell said. She said she needs only to look at the faces of the youngsters pictured on the wall outside her office to know how important the mission is. Take Casey Rogers-Metz for instance.
NEWS
by BRIAN SHAPPELL | December 8, 2003
shappell@herald-mail.com The good news for residents of Hagerstown and some surrounding municipalities is that most people have smoke detectors in their homes. The bad news is many of them don't work properly. Hagerstown Fire Department Spokesman Mike Weller said firefighters from the city, as well as Williamsport and Maugansville, are going door-to-door trying to teach people about maintaining their smoke detectors. Weller said many people are unaware their detectors are not ready to go off in case of a fire.
NEWS
by ANDREW SCHOTZ | March 4, 2003
Clothes piled near a bathroom electric heater caught fire Monday at an apartment at 208 East Ave., a fire official said. Hagerstown Fire Department Battalion Chief Randy Myers said a man was asleep at the apartment, but a woman came home and woke him because a smoke detector was going off. Emergency officials identified the tenant as Isaiah Burker. Community Rescue Service took Burker to Washington County Hospital, where he was treated and released. Myers said Burker suffered smoke inhalation.
NEWS
by JULIE E. GREENE | February 27, 2002
CLEAR SPRING - A fire caused by a failed microwave oven forced a St. Paul Road family to stay elsewhere Tuesday night. "I heard an explosion," said Joyce Krause, of 14646 St. Paul Road. "I heard my little girl holler the kitchen was on fire. " Krause, her 4-year-old daughter, and her 21-month-old grandson made it safely out of the house, she said. "I'm just thankful they got out," said Krause's husband, Michael. Krause said he'd never heard of a microwave oven failing and causing a fire.
NEWS
December 20, 2001
Fire leaves family homeless By KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI kimy@herald-mail.com Fire damaged a Washington County home Tuesday evening, leaving a family of four homeless a week before Christmas. Firefighters were called to 1115 Mount Aetna Road at around 6 p.m. after the occupants noticed fire at the base of a chimney. The occupants got out safely and ran to a neighbor's house to call for help, said Funkstown Fire Co. Chief James Kershner. Smoke and flames were pouring out of the rear of the building when firefighters from Funkstown and Hagerstown arrived.
NEWS
November 8, 2000
Police log 11/9 Chambersburg teen charged with four theft counts CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Chambersburg Borough Police have charged a 15-year-old boy with four counts of theft at J. Frank Faust Junior High School, 1957 Scotland Ave., between Oct. 19 and Nov. 2. Police said $150 was taken from a boys locker room on four occasions. The lockers were not secured at the times of the thefts, police said. Woman escapes unharmed from early morning fire Instead of hearing her smoke detector go off just before 2 a.m. Wednesday, Jane Nelson awoke to the sound of fire crackling in the kitchen of her 3304 Chestnut Grove Road home.
NEWS
July 26, 2000
Martinsburg firefighters distribute smoke detectors By DAVE McMILLION / Staff Writer, Charles Town MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Since June 3, city firefighters and workers from the Lowe's store in Martinsburg have installed 83 smoke detectors in homes in the city's east section that did not have them, said Lt. Steve Canby of the Martinsburg Fire Department. In another 50 homes, the team replaced dead batteries in smoke alarms, Canby added. Canby said he was surprised by the number of homes that did not have smoke detectors or detectors that were not working.
NEWS
By DAN KULIN And MARLO BARNHARTs | March 31, 2000
Faulty wiring for a porch light caused a fire that destroyed a house on Wagaman Road south of Hagerstown on Friday, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's office reported. Fire officials said a working smoke detector saved the family from the fire in their two-story house at 18604 Wagaman Road. Robert Pike, his wife, Shelly, and their 13-year-old daughter, Whitney, escaped from the burning house after Pike was awakened by a smoke detector at about 1:20 a.m. "The fire grew very rapidly," said Funkstown Fire Chief John Gift.
NEWS
February 10, 2000
Editor's note - Please be as brief as possible when calling Mail Call, The Daily Mail's reader call-in line. Mail Call is not staffed on weekends or holidays so it is best to call Mail Call during the week. The Mail Call number is 301-791-6236. You are welcome to leave a recorded message on any subject, but some calls will be screened out. Here are some of the calls we have received lately: "I am calling about the person who has the smoke detector that is chirping.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|