Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsSmoke Detector
IN THE NEWS

Smoke Detector

NEWS
By ERIN JULIUS | February 1, 2008
HAGERSTOWN - A man who was critically burned in a house fire Wednesday morning had been trying to reach a teenage girl who was still in the North Prospect Street residence. The man, identified Thursday as Austin Burnett Jr., 41, was in respiratory arrest on the second floor of the home at 452 N. Prospect St. when firefighters found him, said Ron Horn, deputy chief of the Hagerstown Fire Department. Burnett was listed in critical condition at the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore on Thursday evening.
Advertisement
NEWS
By ERIN JULIUS | January 31, 2008
HAGERSTOWN -- A man who was critically burned in a house fire Wednesday morning had been trying to reach a teenage girl who was still in the North Prospect Street residence. The man, identified Thursday as Austin Burnett Jr., 41, was in respiratory arrest on the second floor of the home at 452 N. Prospect St. when firefighters found him, said Ron Horn, deputy chief of the Hagerstown Fire Department. Burnett was listed in critical condition at the Bayview Burn Center in Baltimore on Thursday evening.
NEWS
by DAN DEARTH | January 25, 2007
HAGERSTOWN - The City of Hagerstown has been awarded a $25,000 grant to buy smoke detectors for homes that qualify as high-risk properties, according to Mike Weller, the city's fire prevention officer. High-risk properties are households that have children who are younger than 5 or adults ages 65 and older, he said. Low-income households and families where English is spoken as a second language also qualify, he said. Weller said firefighters will identify the priority areas by April and visit homes in May to offer the free smoke detectors.
NEWS
August 22, 2006
Mail Call rules Please be as brief as possible when calling Mail Call, The Daily Mail's reader call-in line. You are welcome to leave a recorded message on any subject, but some calls will be screened out. Please follow these rules when calling Mail Call: · It is best to limit your calls to issues in the news, but it's OK to say something nice about a person, place or thing you like about this area. · It's OK to criticize decisions by government officials, but don't get personal.
NEWS
by ERIN CUNNINGHAM | January 18, 2006
A fire that destroyed a mobile home just outside of Hagerstown Tuesday afternoon was ignited by a space heater, said Capt. Chuck Burleson of the Maugansville Goodwill Volunteer Fire Co. The fire, at 13710 Lois St., was reported about 3 p.m., and Maryland State Fire Marshals concluded it started when an electric space heater ignited combustible materials in a bedroom, Burleson said. "The space heater was too close to an air mattress in the bedroom, and that's where the fire started," Burleson said.
NEWS
by TIM ROWLAND | August 2, 2005
Editor's note: This column first was published July 14, 1997. I always knew that firefighters were brave, yet I never knew how brave. Never knew, that is, until a couple of them burst into my house last week and put up a smoke detector. Here's the background. I'd just returned home from the gym and was completely drenched. And not drenched in Kool-Aid, I might add. The house was a wreck and I was mean and grumpy and had just decided to either wash the dishes or throw them out the window a la Lisa Douglas on Green Acres.
NEWS
by ANDREW SCHOTZ | March 30, 2005
andrews@herald-mail.com HALFWAY - Fire damaged a home Tuesday at Halfway Manor Apartments on Scarlet Oak Drive. Fire was coming out of the second floor of 11209 Scarlet Oak Drive when Nick Dattilio, the assistant chief of The Volunteer Fire Co. of Halfway, got there at about noon, according to Alan L. Matheny, the fire company's public information officer. Although the fire was quickly put out, there was about $50,000 worth of damage in the apartment, the press release said.
NEWS
by BRIAN SHAPPELL | October 4, 2004
shappell@herald-mail.com HAGERSTOWN - After 40 years without a problem at their home, the DeBows came within seconds of losing it to a fire, a Hagerstown fire official said. However, the couple was awakened by a smoke detector and was able to douse a basement fire before it spread throughout the house. On Aug. 23, Robert "Bud" and Greta "Bunny" DeBow woke up at 4:15 a.m. to the sound of a smoke detector and found smoke rising from the basement of their Salem Avenue home, where they have lived for 40 years.
NEWS
June 15, 2004
Crews douse fire in Funkstown home FUNKSTOWN - Funkstown Volunteer Fire Co. quickly doused a small trailer fire Monday that an official said would not have been caught by a smoke detector. The fire was detected by the resident's son, who lives in a nearby trailer, before it spread. Funkstown Assistant Fire Chief Kevin Kotanko said firefighters were called out for a fire at 20 W. Poplar St., Lot 2, Antietam Village, at 3:28 p.m. Kotanko said firefighters extinguished the fire before major damages or injuries occurred.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|