Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsJuvenile Court
IN THE NEWS

Juvenile Court

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
October 19, 2006
Teen boy admits to assaulting girl A 13-year-old boy admitted Wednesday in Washington County juvenile court to second-degree assault for throwing soda on a girl in July. Circuit Judge Frederick C. Wright III, sitting in juvenile court, delayed the youth's disposition and ordered the youth serve community detention pending his November disposition. On July 27 at about 8:20 a.m., a 12-year-old girl walking in Ridge Avenue Park was approached by the boy who later "grabbed a soda and threw it at her," Washington County Assistant State's Attorney Gina Cirincion said.
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | January 14, 2012
Mom shrugged. "No comment," the woman said when asked by Assistant Public Defender Brian Hutchison in Washington County juvenile court if she agreed that her son would be better off remaining in foster care. Her 13-year-old son, one of hundreds who find themselves in juvenile court each year in Washington County, had admitted to vandalizing a vehicle. Other charges, including a threat to commit arson, were dismissed. "You took your medications today?" Hutchison asked the boy. The boy, who previously was found not mentally competent, answered that he had. The types of medications were not discussed in court.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | September 4, 2013
Evidence-suppression hearings for two men charged in the April 20 shooting death of Steven Andrew O'Brien in his Randolph Avenue apartment were delayed Wednesday during appearances by the defendants in Washington County Circuit Court. As one of the two men, Cory Antonio Usher, was escorted from the courtroom, a relative of O'Brien's said “green mile,” a possible reference to the 1999 film “The Green Mile,” about death-row inmates and their prison guards. Maryland no longer has the death penalty, but court records show that the prosecution has filed notice of its intent to seek a sentence of life without the possibility of parole if Usher is convicted of first-degree murder.
Advertisement
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | July 17, 2013
A teenager charged as an adult in the April shooting death of a Hagerstown man will have his case heard in juvenile court after agreeing Wednesday in Washington County Circuit Court to testify against one of his co-defendants. Judge John H. McDowell granted a petition by defense attorney Bernard W. Semler II to transfer the case of 16-year-old Jenaro J. Torres, of 19 Broadway, Apt. 2, Hagerstown, to juvenile court. As part of the agreement worked out with prosecutors, Deputy State's Attorney Joseph Michael said Torres had to give a full and truthful video statement to Hagerstown police about events in the April 20 shooting of Steven Andrew O'Brien at his Randolph Avenue home.
NEWS
July 5, 2013
Three juvenile females between the ages of 12 and 14 have been charged following a fight Thursday night at Fairgrounds Park that delayed Hagerstown's annual Fourth of July fireworks show, Hagerstown Police Lt. Paul Kifer said Friday. “It was simply a fight amongst some juveniles,” Kifer said, dispelling any rumors that there had been a stabbing or shooting that took place in the incident just before 9:50 p.m. “It was blown out of proportion.” Kifer said several girls initially got into a confrontation, which drew a large group of underage observers near the park's concession stand, including some boys who later got involved in the scuffle, he said.
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | July 3, 2013
A hearing to determine whether a 15-year-old accused of murder will have his case heard in adult or juvenile court was continued Wednesday in Washington County Circuit Court, but the state did outline what it expects from Jenaro Torres if it consents to having his case heard as a juvenile. Torres, of 19 Broadway, Apt. 2, in Hagerstown is charged as an adult with first-degree murder, armed robbery, theft and other offenses in the April 20 shooting death of Steven Andrew O'Brien at his Randolph Avenue apartment.
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | June 20, 2013
The cases of two men and a 15-year-old boy charged in the April shooting death of a Hagerstown man in his Randolph Avenue apartment have been transferred to Washington County Circuit Court, according to court records. Cory Antonio Usher, 36, of 453 W. Antietam St., Apt. 12, and Eduardo Emilio Gonzalez, 26, of 19 Broadway, Apt. 2, were indicted by a county grand jury on June 14, according to Assistant State's Attorney Gina Cirincion.  Both were indicted on charges that included first- and second-degree murder, armed robbery, robbery criminal conspiracy and theft in the April 20 death of Steven Andrew O'Brien in his Randolph Avenue apartment, court records said.
NEWS
May 24, 2013
A ceremony will be held next week to celebrate a $6,500 donation the Eastern Panhandle Juvenile Drug Court is receiving from a nonprofit organization that is dissolving, the West Virginia Supreme Court of Appeals announced Friday. The check presentation to the court by Helping Hands American Restorative Justice Initiative Inc. will be Thursday at 2:30 p.m. at the Jefferson County Judicial Center at 110 N. George St. in Charles Town, W.Va., the high court said in a news release. Berkeley County Councilman Douglas E. Copenhaver Jr., the organization's president, has said the money the group raised at a fundraiser last year would be distributed to the region's juvenile drug court program, a drug prevention outreach program managed by Berkeley County Sheriff Kenneth Lemaster Jr. and a restorative justice fund at the Eastern West Virginia Community Foundation.
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | March 28, 2013
The last of three teenagers charged in a robbery last summer - one of them a previous North Hagerstown High School football star - had his case transferred to juvenile court Thursday during a hearing in Washington County Circuit Court. Judge Dana Moylan Wright granted a request from the attorney for Iydae Anthony Bostic be transferred from adult to juvenile court, a recommendation in line with a report prepared by the Maryland Department of Juvenile Services. Bostic, 17, whose address was listed at Mount Vernon, N.Y., was charged as an adult with armed robbery, criminal conspiracy, assault, carrying a handgun and other offenses in a July 27, 2012, robbery near the North Hagerstown High School football field, according to charging documents filed by Hagerstown police.
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | January 23, 2013
A Hagerstown teenager charged as an adult in an armed robbery had his case transferred to juvenile court following a hearing Tuesday in Washington County Circuit Court, but his co-defendant will have to wait for a judge's decision regarding his case. Judge Dana Moylan Wright granted 17-year-old Nijah Malik Abdul Rahim's petition to have his case transferred to juvenile court. Wright said she would decide within 10 days whether to grant a similar petition for Sheldon Lontre Maxie Hylton, also 17, of Chambersburg, Pa. They are charged by Hagerstown police in the Nov. 14, 2012, holdup of Hartle's Subs, 1301 Marshall St. Two males, one armed with what appeared to be a handgun, entered the business at 6:44 p.m., demanded cash and made off with an undisclosed amount of cash, police reported at the time.
NEWS
By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com | July 19, 2012
Maryland Gov. Martin O'Malley on Thursday named District Judge Dana Moylan Wright to be the first woman to serve on Washington County Circuit Court. Wright, 46, was one of five people whose names were forwarded to the governor by the Judicial Nominating Commission in May. Eleven attorneys originally applied for the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge W. Kennedy Boone III, who reached the mandatory retirement age of 70 in March. “I'm very excited and honored to continue serving the citizens of the county,” Wright said Thursday night.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|