May 24, 2012
After about 2 1/2 hours of careful inspection, rescue officials Wednesday night determined that a suspicious package found at a driveway on Mapleville Road contained some type of blue liquid inside it, a fire official said. “Exactly what it is, I don't know,” said Deputy State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst as authorities were leaving the scene about 10:30 p.m. The package was on the driveway at about 5 to 10 feet from the road, said Terry Stouffer, chief of Mt. Aetna Vol. Fire Co. Stouffer said the package was black, about 1-foot wide and about 1-foot deep, with the word “contaminants” written on it. Authorities were able to rule out any explosives in the package, which was similar to a Rubbermaid container, Ernst said.
August 17, 2007
Emergency crews were at the Pilot truck stop on Greencastle Pike this morning because a tractor-trailer was on fire, according to a Washington County 911 dispatcher. The call was classified as a hazardous materials incident, the dispatcher said, and the Maryland Department of the Environment was asked to respond. The call was dispatched at 6:14 a.m. A county 911 employee who was at the scene said the tractor-trailer was about 20 to 25 feet away from gas pumps and the cab was on fire.
February 24, 1998
Toilet cleaners flush couple from city home A Hagerstown couple was taken to Washington County Hospital Monday night after inhaling fumes generated when two incompatible chemical drain openers were mixed together in an attempt to unclog a toilet, a fire official said. Members of the Washington County Hazardous Materials team were called to 512 Salem Ave. at about 6:30 p.m. to neutralize the mixed chemicals, said Ron Horn, battalion chief at Hagerstown Fire Department. The homeowner tried to unclog the toilet first by dumping Liquid Plummer, Horn said.
October 17, 1999
By KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI / Staff Writer photos: RIC DUGAN / staff photographer Flames 10 feet and higher shot out from the burning 150-gallon propane tank. Firefighters forming two rows attacked the blaze with blasts of water from dueling fire hoses as they slowly approached the fuel container. Gingerly, a firefighter positioned between the two rows reached into the fire's nucleus and turned the tank's relief valve, extinguishing the flames.
June 4, 2004
About 80 members of the Montgomery County (Md.) Urban Search and Rescue Team participated in tactical training Thursday in Hagerstown, said John Bentley, a member of the team and a local emergency services worker.The training took place at Fairgrounds Park and on Antietam Creek off Security Road, said Bentley, who is the captain of the Washington County Special Operations team, which handles rescues and hazardous materials. The session Thursday morning at the fairgrounds was to train for preparedness against weapons of mass destruction, Bentley said.
August 11, 2004
Fire, rescue and police agencies in Washington County have been awarded $1.14 million in grants as of Tuesday, Director of Emergency Services Joe Kroboth told the County Commissioners. The commissioners approved Memorandum of Understandings with various agencies who distributed the grants, making the awards final. The $1.14 million consists of 11 separate awards and includes a $668,038 weapons of mass destruction grant and a $212,578 law enforcement terrorism grant, both distributed by the Maryland Emergency Management Agency.
May 1, 2011
The slow lane of westbound Interstate 68, west of Hancock, reopened Sunday morning after a fuel spill was cleaned up, according to Washington County Emergency Services. A part on a tractor-trailer broke off and hit the fuel tank, rupturing the tank and causing it to spill diesel, a 911 supervisor said Sunday morning. The incident was reported at 8:40 a.m. Sunday, the 911 supervisor said. The lane reopened around 10:40 a.m. Washington County Special Operations, which is a hazardous-materials unit, as well as firefighters from Hancock and Allegany County, helped clean up the spill, the 911 supervisor said.
January 24, 2008
An unknown odor which forced the relocation of personnel from Washington County Hospital's birthing center early this morning was traced to an old steam humidifier system with a leaky valve, hospital spokeswoman confirmed at 9:49 a.m. The odor prompted a response from Hagerstown firefighters and hazardous materials personnel, all trying to find out what it was and where it was coming from. The incident was first reported at 6:25 a.m. The investigation was concluded at 9:05 a.m. and turned over to hospital personnel.
December 18, 2008
MYERSVILLE, Md. -- One lane of eastbound Interstate 70 was closed late this morning after a collision near Md. 17, according to Maryland State Police. The accident took place at about 9:43 a.m. Traffic was congested for several miles as of 10:30 a.m. Earlier in the day, eastbound I-70 was closed for about an hour after a two-vehicle crash on I-70 at Monument Road, police said. That accident, reported at about 4:54 a.m., involved a tractor-trailer and a van, police said.
August 31, 2009
HAGERSTOWN -- A locomotive holding 100 gallons of diesel fuel began leaking fuel Monday night at a CSX facility behind the Hagerstown Roundhouse Museum along Burhans Boulevard, a 911 dispatcher said. Randy Myers, battalion chief with the Hagerstown Fire Department, said "a lot of fuel" flowed on to the ground. He said the Maryland Department of the Environment and a CSX hazardous materials team were dealing with the spill. Workers transferred as much fuel as they could to another locomotive and a container, Myers said.