Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsGrease
IN THE NEWS

Grease

NEWS
November 20, 2009
Recycle cooking oil, grease With deep-frying turkey a current fad, the need to manage cooking oils that get poured down the drain increases. Washington County's 40-West Landfill is accepting used and unused cooking oils and greases for recycling from county residents. Any type of liquid vegetable oil used in residential kitchens, such as peanut, corn, canola, olive, and safflower oil will be accepted for recycling, along with animal-based cooking greases like bacon grease, renderings, and lard.
Advertisement
NEWS
March 29, 2007
Students at Smithsburg High School present the musical "Grease" at 7:30 p.m. today; Friday, March 30; and Saturday, March 31, in the auditorium of the school, 66 N. Main St., Smithsburg. Tickets cost $8; $6 for students and seniors. For more information, call 301-766-8337.
NEWS
By HEATHER KEELS | April 28, 2009
Plan to capture energy from methane gas moves forward HAGERSTOWN -- Washington County will soon begin offering recycling options for kitchen grease and Styrofoam under pilot programs approved Tuesday by the Washington County Commissioners. The commissioners also agreed to purchase a tarp system that will preserve the life of the county's landfill, to switch to a less-expensive electronics recycling organization and to offer a collection day for household hazardous waste.
NEWS
March 9, 2012
Five people were displaced by a fire that started in the kitchen of a home Friday afternoon in Hagerstown, according to a city fire official. The fire was reported at about 4 p.m. in a two-story brick duplex at 712 Guilford Ave. Grease ignited on the stove while a family member was getting ready to prepare dinner, City Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said. “There's some substantial damage to the kitchen area,” DeHaven said. “The fire spread into the wall.” Firefighters took about 15 minutes to bring the blaze under control, he said.
NEWS
March 4, 2001
Stove fire provides costly lesson By KIMBERLY YAKOWSKI / Staff Writer Felicia Benear and her fianc Bob Scholl want others to learn from their mistakes. continued Last month, an unattended grease fire in their Fulton Street home caused $12,000 in damages to the kitchen and living room. The fire was a first for the couple, "and we won't have any others. We will stay at the stove until the meal is complete," said Benear, as she surveyed the kitchen days after the blaze.
NEWS
By CRYSTAL SCHELLE | May 17, 2009
Wayne Violet wants people to stop thinking of mechanics as just a bunch of grease monkeys. There's a lot more than grease to auto maintenance nowadays. As teacher of the automotive technology classes at Washington County Technical High School, he's educating the next generation of automobile technicians. Even since his juniors and seniors were born in the 1990s, there have been many advances in the way cars are made. "There's now electrical and hybrid vehicles," Violet said.
NEWS
By DAN DEARTH | dan.dearth@herald-mail.com | November 22, 2011
With Thanksgiving arriving Thursday, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office is warning people to use caution when preparing their holiday meals. Bruce D. Bouch, state fire marshal's office spokesman, said kitchen accidents increase over the holidays because people preparing food are more distracted. Thanksgiving “tends to be more prone to cooking incidents because you have more family in the house and more food on the stove,” Bouch said. “With more family in the home, you tend to be distracted more.” The fire marshal's office suggests that holiday chefs take extra precautions in the kitchen this year, including making sure smoke detectors are operable and pot handles on the stove are pointed inward to avoid knocking hot food on a child's head.
NEWS
By TIM ROWLAND | October 14, 2009
o If you like reading Tim Rowland, you'll love watching him. See what else Tim has to say Editor's note: Tim Rowland is on vacation. This column originally ran Sept. 4, 2002. War with Iraq, battered stock market, Homeland Security (aka the Reversal of Freedoms Act of 2002), record-setting drought, dogs and cats living together -- so I turn on CNN this morning to get the lowdown on all these issues and discover that the big news is: McDonald's may change its french fry recipe.
NEWS
June 4, 2009
'Grease' concludes MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Musical, "Grease. " Friday, June 5, through Sunday, June 7. Adults cost $15 for Friday and Saturday, $12 Sunday; $7 for students. Apollo Civic Theatre, 128 E. Martin St. Call director Amanda Harman Herold at 304-267-7218. 'Ladies Night in a Turkish Bath' BOILING SPRINGS, Pa. - In order to evade the police, men sneak into a women's Turkish bath. Continues through Sunday, June 14. Allenberry Resort Inn and Playhouse. For ticket prices and reservations, call 717-258-3211 or go www.allenberry.
NEWS
July 23, 2007
To learn more To find out more about Music Alive!, go to www.musicalive.com . FREDERICK, Md. - The eighth-grade chorus at Crestwood Middle School in Frederick was one of the national winners in the Music Alive! & Menudo contest sponsored by Music Alive! Magazine, an educational music magazine in the United States and Canada, and Cherry Lane Music Foundation. The contest challenged classes across the U.S. to record their own version of "Hold Me," the 1985 song recorded by the original Menudo group.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|