Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsFire Department
IN THE NEWS

Fire Department

NEWS
By DAN DEARTH | December 21, 2007
SHARPSBURG - The Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Co. has been awarded a $38,000 grant from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to purchase an emergency generator, Fire Chief Darryl Benner said. Benner said the office of U.S. Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski, D-Md., notified him Wednesday that the fire department would receive the money. Mikulski's office did not release the information publicly until Thursday. As a condition of the grant, the fire department will have to pay $2,000 toward the purchase of the generator, Benner said.
Advertisement
NEWS
by RICHARD BELISLE | April 3, 2003
waynesboro@herald-mail.com ST. THOMAS, Pa. - The former chief of St. Thomas Fire and Rescue Inc. has been charged by Pennsylvania State Police with taking more than $5,000 worth of equipment from the fire company, according to court records. A preliminary hearing for Richard Michael Roche, originally scheduled for Tuesday, has been continued to April 22 at 1 p.m. in Central Court in Chambersburg, Pa., court officials said. Roche, 34, served as chief of the Long Meadow Volunteer Fire Department before he was elected chief of the St. Thomas Fire Department in December 1999.
NEWS
By MATTHEW UMSTEAD | matthew.umstead@herald-mail.com | April 28, 2012
The Berkeley County Council and the Bedington Volunteer Fire Department have agreed to keep a combined paid and volunteer firefighter system in place following a six-month trial period. Robert W. “Robbie” Robinson, president of the fire department, said Friday that the addition of two full-time county-paid firefighters to help respond to weekday calls dispatched to Bedington has been “fantastic.” A similar trial period with two paid firefighters assigned to the South Berkeley Volunteer Fire Co. is set to expire next month, but Chief Rick Petry said he expects the fire company will vote to continue the arrangement.
NEWS
January 25, 2012
Fire displaces six from home on West North Street Six people were displaced from their home early Monday after an attic fire. Waynesboro Fire Chief Dave Martin said a police officer noticed smoke coming from a single-family home at 144 W. North St. at about 3:45 a.m. “They had no working smoke detectors,” Martin said. The fire's cause was accidental and involved the house's electrical system, he said. Because power was shut off to the house, the fire department contacted the American Red Cross of the Cumberland Valley to assist the residents, according to Martin.
NEWS
by CANDICE BOSELY | August 13, 2006
BERKELEY SPRINGS, W.VA. - Some of them were identified only by the abandoned cars they left parked nearby. Others were identified by hotel registration records or by tags or bracelets they were wearing. When the Washington House Hotel at the corner of Fairfax and Washington streets was reduced to rubble in 1974 by a fire, 12 people either staying or living at the hotel died. The intense heat of that fire melted a face of the clock in the Morgan County Courthouse's tower. Thirty-four years later, that clock itself was lost last week when the courthouse burned.
NEWS
December 8, 2008
Cub Scouts from Pack 22 saw a demonstration on how firefighters gear up when responding to a fire. The Cub Scouts recently visited Junior Independent No. 3 Fire Department and Community Rescue Services on Eastern Boulevard. The Cub Scouts took a tour of the fire department, CRS living quarters and saw the various equipment used in emergencies. Pack members were also given a demonstration of the equipment firefighters wear and how CRS uses the "jaws of life" to extract victims from vehicles.
NEWS
By ERIN JULIUS | August 16, 2007
Several city intersections were blocked off this morning after workers hit a 2-inch high-pressure gas line behind 37 S. Prospect St., causing a gas leak, said Richard Hopkins, Hagers-town Fire Department battalion chief. Columbia Gas representatives responded to the scene, and the leak was turned off at 8:38 a.m., Hopkins said. The gas line fed Walnut Towers on Walnut Street, and residents in that complex were advised to stay inside and close all windows, Hopkins said. The fire department could not detect any gas inside any buildings within range of the leak, but did get readings of gas outside, he said.
NEWS
By ERIN JULIUS | March 7, 2008
The Hagerstown Fire Department will install a free smoke alarm for any city resident who requests one. The alarms run on lithium batteries, which last for 10 years. Since January 2007, the department has installed 1,250 lithium-battery smoke alarms in 600 homes in Hagerstown, said Mike Weller, Hagerstown fire prevention coordinator. Everyone should have a working smoke alarm that is less than 10 years old on every level of their home, Weller said. For those who do not live within Hagerstown's city limits but would like to install lithium-battery smoke alarms, most major retail outlets sell them, Weller said.
NEWS
By DAVE McMILLION | February 26, 2008
MARTINSBURG, W.Va. - Fire raced through a one-story home Monday in the Douglas Grove estates development along Douglas Grove Road in Berkeley County, a fire official said. Lt. Willie Whitmer of the Baker Heights Volunteer Fire Department declined to comment on a possible cause of the fire, which was reported around noon. Whitmer said a woman who is hearing impaired was at the home when the fire started but had trouble communicating with a 911 dispatcher, Whitmer said. A Berkeley County Sheriff's Department officer responded to the scene and called for help, Whitmer said.
NEWS
by JENNIFER FITCH | February 13, 2006
MONT ALTO, Pa. - A 16-year-old boy remained stuck in a hole in Guilford Township, Pa., for an hour and a half Sunday night before someone called rescue personnel, according to Shawn Adolini, fire chief from the Mont Alto (Pa.) Fire Department. He said the boy was flown to Hershey (Pa.) Medical Center "due to hypothermia setting in. " The boy, who was reportedly sledding with friends, had one leg trapped up to the knee in what looked like a groundhog hole, Adolini said. The boy's sister told responders that he became stuck around 7 p.m., according to Adolini.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|