Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsChimney Fire
IN THE NEWS

Chimney Fire

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
February 21, 2012
A chimney fire has been reported in the 3400 block of Western Pike west of Hancock, a supervisor for Washington County Emergency Services said. Units were responding to the scene around 7:25 a.m. Tuesday. The fire had been extinguished by about 7:45 a.m.
NEWS
October 29, 2011
A home on National Pike near Clear Spring was damaged Saturday morning when a chimney fire spread into the wall and floor, Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Reid said. The house, a single-family Cape Cod at 13815 National Pike, had moderate damage, but the residents decided to stay in it, Reid said. Two people live in the house, he said. The fire began in the chimney as the residents were burning a wood stove, Reid said. Fire companies from Maugansville, Williamsport, Halfway and Franklin County, Pa., assisted at the scene.
NEWS
December 26, 2011
A chimney fire at a house on Main Street in Sharpsburg closed the street to traffic for more than an hour Monday night as firefighters battled the blaze. Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Main Street for the fire at about 8:05 p.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said. Deputy Fire Chief Chris Mullendore of the Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Co. said the fire was in the home's chimney but extended into the wall and slightly under the chimney. The older home sustained an estimated $2,000 in damage from the fire, Mullendore said.
NEWS
December 27, 2011
One person had minor burns when a chimney fire spread into the walls of his home Tuesday morning, Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Jason Eckstine said. The fire was called in at 2:51 a.m. from the 13000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, and firefighters cleared the scene at 4:44 a.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said. When firefighters arrived there was smoke filling the house and fire coming from the mantel, Eckstine said. It took firefighters about half an hour to extinguish the fire in the wall, he said.
NEWS
March 3, 2013
Two fire companies responded Sunday morning to a chimney fire on French Lane, according to Washington County Emergency Services. Firefighters were dispatched between 10 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday to the chimney fire, which was in the 11500 block of French Lane, a 911 supervisor said. The chimney on the house was a mortar type and it appears the fire might have extended through a gap in the mortar into a bedroom, said Brian Lowman, deputy chief of Williamsport Volunteer Fire & Emergency Medical Services.
NEWS
January 24, 2013
A chimney fire that started above a wood stove Wednesday night caused about $65,000 in damages to a mobile home in Knoxville, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said. The fire was reported at 10:09 p.m. by the occupants of the double-wide mobile home at 1834 Hoffmaster Road, according to a fire marshal's office news release. Authorities said the fire, which spread from the chimney to the structure, caused $55,000 in damages to the structure and $10,000 in damages to the contents.
NEWS
February 3, 2013
A Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. firefighter received a second-degree burn to the hand after a Saturday morning chimney fire in the Smithsburg area flashed up the chimney, Longmeadow Fire Chief Jason Eckstine said. The volunteer firefighter was taken to Meritus Medical Center and was released about four hours later, Eckstine said. It will be a couple of days before the firefighter returns to service, Eckstine said Sunday. Longmeadow was assisting Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. on a chimney fire call in the 13200 block of Edgemont Road shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, according to an email from James Ulrich, chief of operations for Smithsburg Emergency Medical Services.
NEWS
January 28, 2009
BERKELEY COUNTY, W.Va. -- Firefighters responded to a house fire this morning at 10913 Back Creek Valley Road, said Lt. Joe Sheedy of the Hedgesville Volunteer Fire Co. No injuries were reported, he said. The family was displaced from the two-story single family home. There was extensive smoke and water damage to the home, Sheedy said. Preliminary investigation shows that the fire was caused by a chimney fire that spread to the attic and second floor, he said.
NEWS
December 29, 2009
MERCERSBURG, Pa. -- Three people were forced to find other housing Tuesday afternoon after fire spread through a home at 8450 Ward Drive, according to fire officials. The fire initially was reported as a chimney fire, but when firefighters arrived, it was a house fire, fire officials said. A firefighter was taken to a hospital for nonlife-threatening injuries, a 911 dispatcher said. The fire was reported at 12:16 p.m. and firefighters were on the scene until late afternoon, the dispatcher said.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
March 3, 2013
Two fire companies responded Sunday morning to a chimney fire on French Lane, according to Washington County Emergency Services. Firefighters were dispatched between 10 and 10:30 a.m. Sunday to the chimney fire, which was in the 11500 block of French Lane, a 911 supervisor said. The chimney on the house was a mortar type and it appears the fire might have extended through a gap in the mortar into a bedroom, said Brian Lowman, deputy chief of Williamsport Volunteer Fire & Emergency Medical Services.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 6, 2013
Driver charged with DUI accused of hitting headstones WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A Hagerstown man is facing charges after allegedly striking headstones at Green Hill Cemetery with his vehicle. Russell Dodgion, of 12917 Little Hayden Circle, was charged by Waynesboro police with driving under the influence. The vehicle he was driving became disabled due to hitting multiple headstones, Waynesboro police said in a news release. Police said they were called to the cemetery off South Potomac Street at 2:25 p.m. Tuesday, Jan. 29. Man attempts to lure girl into car WAYNESBORO, Pa. - A man claiming to be a school district employee tried to lure a girl into a car Friday evening, Waynesboro police said in a news release.
NEWS
February 3, 2013
A Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. firefighter received a second-degree burn to the hand after a Saturday morning chimney fire in the Smithsburg area flashed up the chimney, Longmeadow Fire Chief Jason Eckstine said. The volunteer firefighter was taken to Meritus Medical Center and was released about four hours later, Eckstine said. It will be a couple of days before the firefighter returns to service, Eckstine said Sunday. Longmeadow was assisting Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. on a chimney fire call in the 13200 block of Edgemont Road shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, according to an email from James Ulrich, chief of operations for Smithsburg Emergency Medical Services.
NEWS
January 24, 2013
A chimney fire that started above a wood stove Wednesday night caused about $65,000 in damages to a mobile home in Knoxville, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said. The fire was reported at 10:09 p.m. by the occupants of the double-wide mobile home at 1834 Hoffmaster Road, according to a fire marshal's office news release. Authorities said the fire, which spread from the chimney to the structure, caused $55,000 in damages to the structure and $10,000 in damages to the contents.
NEWS
April 11, 2012
A family was displaced and two pet dogs died in a house fire Wednesday morning in Hagerstown's West End, authorities said. Crews were dispatched to 1044 Georgia Ave. at 10:33 a.m. after neighbors reported the fire, Hagerstown Communications Manager Erin Wolfe said in a news release. The blaze initially was reported as a chimney fire, according to Mark Cleck, battalion chief for the Hagerstown Fire Department. When they arrived, firefighters found flames on the first floor of the house.
NEWS
February 21, 2012
A chimney fire has been reported in the 3400 block of Western Pike west of Hancock, a supervisor for Washington County Emergency Services said. Units were responding to the scene around 7:25 a.m. Tuesday. The fire had been extinguished by about 7:45 a.m.
NEWS
December 27, 2011
One person had minor burns when a chimney fire spread into the walls of his home Tuesday morning, Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Jason Eckstine said. The fire was called in at 2:51 a.m. from the 13000 block of Pennsylvania Avenue, and firefighters cleared the scene at 4:44 a.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said. When firefighters arrived there was smoke filling the house and fire coming from the mantel, Eckstine said. It took firefighters about half an hour to extinguish the fire in the wall, he said.
NEWS
December 26, 2011
A chimney fire at a house on Main Street in Sharpsburg closed the street to traffic for more than an hour Monday night as firefighters battled the blaze. Firefighters were called to the 100 block of Main Street for the fire at about 8:05 p.m., a Washington County 911 dispatcher said. Deputy Fire Chief Chris Mullendore of the Sharpsburg Volunteer Fire Co. said the fire was in the home's chimney but extended into the wall and slightly under the chimney. The older home sustained an estimated $2,000 in damage from the fire, Mullendore said.
NEWS
October 29, 2011
A home on National Pike near Clear Spring was damaged Saturday morning when a chimney fire spread into the wall and floor, Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Reid said. The house, a single-family Cape Cod at 13815 National Pike, had moderate damage, but the residents decided to stay in it, Reid said. Two people live in the house, he said. The fire began in the chimney as the residents were burning a wood stove, Reid said. Fire companies from Maugansville, Williamsport, Halfway and Franklin County, Pa., assisted at the scene.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|