Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsCarbon Monoxide
IN THE NEWS

Carbon Monoxide

NEWS
Lynn Little | January 6, 2012
You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but at high levels it can kill a person in minutes. Carbon monoxide (CO) is the most common cause of poisoning death in the United States, often caused by fuel burning appliances that are not functioning properly.   Approximately 500 deaths and 15,000 visits to the emergency room occur annually due to unintentional CO poisoning. Adults aged 65 and older are especially vulnerable to unintentional CO poisoning because of their high frequency of pre-existing medical conditions.
Advertisement
NEWS
August 16, 2008
WAYNESBORO, Pa. -- Two men were found dead of carbon monoxide poisoning Friday afternoon in a Waynesboro house, according to a press release from Franklin County Coroner Jeffrey R. Conner. Stewart A. Dewease Jr., 49, and Keith Rohrer, 22, were found by a relative of Dewease's at 614 Park St. in Waynesboro, Conner said. The carbon monoxide poisoning was caused by a car left running in the garage, Conner said. Stewart was found on the first floor, and Rohrer was found in the basement, Conner said.
NEWS
July 16, 2012
The Chambersburg Borough Council announced Monday it has received a federal grant for what the borough manager describes as “one of the most important programs developed by the Chambersburg Fire Department.” Sen. Robert P. Casey Jr., D-Pa., and U.S. Rep. Bill Shuster, R-Pa., assisted the borough in obtaining $65,430 from a Federal Emergency Management Agency, or FEMA, Fire Prevention and Life Safety Education grant. It will be used to continue the installation of smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors, as well as to train citizens in fire prevention.
NEWS
September 27, 2011
Franklin County Emergency Services report The following incidents were reported Tuesday by Franklin County (Pa.) Emergency Services: • At 3:26 a.m., an outside investigation in the 600 block of Kauffman Station Road West in Antrim Township. • At 5:45 a.m., a carbon-monoxide detector was activated in the 1200 block of Paul-Mar Drive in Hamilton Township. • At 5:50 a.m., a house fire in the 15600 block of National Pike in Washington County.
NEWS
April 8, 1998
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. - Six people were taken to Chambersburg Hospital Wednesday night after suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by an apparent furnace malfunction, according to the Chambersburg Fire Department. All the victims were still waiting to be treated late Wednesday night, according to Chambersburg Fire Department Lt. Clyde Thomas. He said he did not have the names of the victims, but all were alive. "The owner had called 911 for a seizure patient," Rice said of the incident at 136 S. Second St. The call came in at about 9:30 p.m. and when ambulance personnel arrived, they discovered the patient and others in the two-story brick house were suffering symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.
NEWS
by TIFFANY ARNOLD | June 30, 2006
WASHINGTON COUNTY As the floodwaters recede, a new set of worries has emerged amid cleanup efforts throughout Washington County this week. Health officials now are warning people about contaminated surface water and other health risks that have arisen in the aftermath of this week's flooding rains. In addition to contaminated water, health officials said people should be concerned about mold, mosquitoes and carbon monoxide poisoning. "It's quite possible that contaminated (surface)
NEWS
by DON AINES | February 27, 2007
CHAMBERSBURG, PA. - Two of the five victims of a carbon monoxide poisoning incident in Chambersburg on Feb. 15 asked the Chambersburg Borough Council to consider making detectors for the potentially deadly gas mandatory in some rental properties. "I was one of the CO (carbon monoxide) victims ... I believe CO detectors should be required in apartments" that have furnaces, Nancy Redcay of 120 S. Third St. told the council. The council did not call for making the detectors mandatory, but asked solicitor Thomas Finucane to come up with some type of incentive for landlords to install the devices.
OPINION
January 27, 2012
Thumbs up to everyone involved in rescuing a man who became stuck 200 feet deep in a cave off Cresspond Road near Clear Spring for four hours. Advanced technical rescue units from Washington, Frederick and Montgomery counties worked their way back to rescue him unharmed. We are grateful for our first responders who train, sacrifice and run toward danger to keep us safe. Thumbs up to Christian Lopez, 16, of Martinsburg, W.Va., who earned “the golden ticket” for a chance to compete in the “American Idol” Hollywood semifinals.
NEWS
October 18, 2008
HAGERSTOWN -- Smoke alarms, carbon monoxide detectors, LED lighting, power strips and more will be available free for Hagerstown seniors next month as part of a home safety makeover sponsored by Lowe's and the Hagerstown Fire Department, Fire Prevention Coordinator Mike Weller said. The program is scheduled for two consecutive Saturdays, Nov. 1 and 8, Weller said. It is aimed at aging households with aging residents who would have trouble climbing a ladder or don't have the means to buy safety equipment, Weller said.
NEWS
by BRIAN SHAPPELL | October 1, 2003
MERCERSBURG, Pa. - State Police investigators confirmed Tuesday the fire that destroyed a historic building in Center Square Friday began inside the second-floor apartment of a man who jumped from a side window of the burning building. Investigators also confirmed the resident, William Hamilton, suffered carbon monoxide inhalation, burns to his hands and a broken leg from the blaze and his ensuing leap. The fire, which gutted the inside of the 16-apartment building and destroyed much of its roof, erupted at approximately 6:10 a.m. Friday at the Carriage House Hotel, 5 S. Main St. Police said a cigarette ash from an ashtray left in the area of a love seat was the cause of the fire, which caused approximately $500,000 in damages.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|