Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsBasement
IN THE NEWS

Basement

NEWS
by RICHARD F. BELISLE and DAVE MCMILLION | April 9, 2004
RANSON, W.Va. - A 43-year-old Ranson man was charged with first-degree arson and five counts of attempted murder following a fire that started in the basement of a house at 43 Circle St. Wednesday nigt, a Jefferson County Sheriff's Department spokesman said. Chief Deputy Jesse Jones said Michael O'Donnell, who lived in the basement of the burned residence, was arrested without incident at around 5 p.m. Thursday in Ranson not far from the scene of the fire. O'Donnell was not believed to be related to the family who owned the house, Jones said.
Advertisement
NEWS
November 17, 2006
The following building permits have been issued in Washington County: New Homes David L. Sr. and Dawn L. Barnes, 16538 Kendle Road, Williamsport, Cape Cod dwelling, frame construction, partial unfinished basement. Kenneth L. and Frances M. Cain, 13015 Ritchie Road, Smithsburg, one-story dwelling, frame construction, full unfinished walkout basement. D.R. Horton Inc., 20530 Wilderness Run Road, Boonsboro, construct a two-story single-family dwelling, finished basement.
NEWS
by DAVE McMILLION | March 9, 2004
charlestown@herald-mail.com CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. - A one-story home in the Eastland subdivision received about $500,000 in damage Sunday night when fire raced through the structure at 109 Foxhall Road, a fire official said. When firefighters arrived to the scene off Old Cave Road, heavy fire could be seen in the basement and flames were spreading up the side of the house into the attic, said Ed Hannon, assistant safety officer for Citizens Fire Co. At one point, a section of the first floor collapsed and fell into the basement, Hannon said.
NEWS
November 15, 2009
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. -- A Chambersburg-area man lost his Sollenberger Road home in a fire Saturday night, according to Franklin Fire Co. Chief Mark Trace. The man was working on a motorcycle in the basement, went upstairs, heard a noise and went back to the basement, where he found the basement garage on fire, Trace said. The man and a firefighter, whose identities were not released, were treated at the scene for minor injuries, Trace said. The fire at 2154 Sollenberger Road off Lincoln Way West, west of Chambersburg, was reported to 911 at 10:04 p.m. Saturday, a Franklin County 911 dispatcher said.
NEWS
February 24, 2011
Hospital officials have determined that an elderly man pulled from a fire Tuesday at his home north of Hagerstown died of smoke inhalation, the Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office said Thursday in a news release. Delbert G. Summerville, 88, 12809 The Terrace, died Wednesday afternoon at Meritus Medical Center, according to Deputy State Fire Marshal Ed Ernst. Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Jason Eckstine said at the scene of the fire that rescue personnel received a call at about 10:16 a.m. Tuesday that a man was trapped in the basement of a burning home in the 12800 block of The Terrace.
NEWS
February 5, 2002
Police log for 2/4 A candle left burning unattended in a basement sparked a fire Sunday morning that caused $10,000 damage to a home at 16629 Fairview Road in Hagerstown. Justo Molina told Maryland State fire marshals that he was awakened at 6:28 a.m. by the smoke alarm and found smoke coming from the basement. After also seeing fire, Molina left the one-story wood frame house and called 911. Firefighters from Maugansville, Greencastle, Pa., and Long Meadow responded to the call, along with the Washington County Emergency Air Unit.
NEWS
by JENNIFER FITCH | April 12, 2007
WAYNESBORO, Pa. - Repair work has begun at an East Main Street building that partially collapsed in November 2006. CW Builders of Waynesboro was clearing debris from the basement of 29 E. Main St., a former coin-operated laundry, beginning at 8 a.m. Wednesday, said Corey Woodring, son of CW Builders owner Carroll Woodring. "The way my father was talking, we're going to be down there digging for weeks," Corey Woodring said. He said the basement is filled with mud and large rocks.
NEWS
by GREGORY T. SIMMONS | November 26, 2003
gregs@herald-mail.com No one was injured in a small fire in the 200 block of Frederick Street just before noon Tuesday, but fire officials said the fire could have been much worse because there were no smoke alarms in the house. Fire broke out in the basement of 238 Frederick St., and neighbors called 911 at about 11:50 a.m., fire officials and neighbors said. Bryan Minnick and Greg Loveless, roommates at 236 Frederick St., share a wall in a duplex with the resident at 238 Frederick St. They said they were alerted to the hazard when their smoke alarms began ringing.
NEWS
by JULIE E. GREENE | March 5, 2005
julieg@herald-mail.com HANCOCK - A Washington County couple was staying with family Friday night after their home was damaged in a fire that might have been caused by a leaking gas line in the basement, officials said. The two-story home at 3203 National Pike, about six miles west of Hancock, used to have a gas log fireplace, Hancock Fire Co. Deputy Chief Brian Reed said. However, the liquid propane line still was in the basement and apparently ignited, he said. The minor explosion blew a few concrete blocks out of an interior basement wall, Reed said.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|