Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: HeraldMail HomeCollectionsApartment Building
IN THE NEWS

Apartment Building

BREAKINGNEWS
By JULIE E. GREENE | julieg@herald-mail.co | July 1, 2012
Nobody was hurt in a Sunday morning apartment fire in downtown Hagerstown, Hagerstown Fire Capt. Adam Hopkins said. The cause of the fire, which occurred at about 7:15 a.m. Sunday at 30 E. Antietam St., was being investigated by a Hagerstown fire marshal, Hopkins said. About 40 firefighters responded to the fire because there was a report of people unaccounted for, but firefighters searched the entire building and didn't find anyone inside, Hopkins said. In addition to all five of Hagerstown's fire engines and both ladder trucks responding, a rescue squad from Funkstown Volunteer Fire Co., Community Rescue Service, the Washington County Emergency Air Unit, the Washington County Emergency Rehab Unit and Washington County Special Operations also responded, Hopkins said.
Advertisement
NEWS
By DAVE McMILLION | May 14, 2009
HAGERSTOWN -- A Hagerstown man who was found guilty in March of an animal cruelty charge avoided jail time Wednesday when he was sentenced in Washington County District Court. David Carl Sharrah, 52, of 424 N. Locust St., Apt. 5, was ordered by Judge Frederick Bower to serve 40 days in prison, which he suspended, to serve one year of unsupervised probation and to pay $57.50 in court costs, according to court records. Bower, sitting in Washington County District Court, also said Sharrah is not to possess any animals.
NEWS
January 4, 1998
Police log INWOOD, W.Va. - A Winchester, Va., man was stabbed several times Sunday morning outside a bar in what West Virginia State Police said may be a hate crime. Jacob A. Bates, 21, suffered two stab wounds to the head, five to the back and one on a wrist, according to Trooper E.D. Burnett. He said Bates was taken to Winchester Medical Center and was released at about 5 p.m. Burnett said the call came in at 3:41 a.m. from Gables Night Club on U.S. 11 South in Ridgeway.
NEWS
August 24, 2009
Jewelry stolen from Kmart in Martinsburg MARTINSBURG, W.Va. -- Someone broke into a Kmart in Martinsburg early Monday, smashed the jewelry counters and stole jewelry, Berkeley County Sheriff's Department Lt. Gary Harmison said. The break-in happened at about 1 a.m. at the Kmart at 1287 Winchester Ave., Harmison said. Someone threw something through the front door, went inside, took the jewelry and left, he said. An employee was in the store's back room when the break-in occurred, but by the time he came out, the intruder had left, Harmison said.
NEWS
by PEPPER BALLARD | February 5, 2005
pepperb@herald-mail.com HAGERSTOWN - A Hagerstown family was displaced from its home Friday afternoon after a fire set by a 4-year-old boy playing with a lighter destroyed its South Potomac Street apartment. Dark gray smoke rose from the top-floor windows of an apartment at 423 S. Potomac St. in Hagerstown about 3 p.m. Friday. About 20 Hagerstown Fire Department firefighters moved between the apartment building to firetrucks blocking traffic before the blue and red three-story duplex, which is about a block north of Bester Elementary School.
NEWS
by ANDREW SCHOTZ | July 21, 2005
andrews@herald-mail.com A 3-year-old boy playing with a lighter set a fire that significantly damaged five West Washington Street apartments on Friday, Hagerstown Assistant Fire Marshal Douglas DeHaven said Wednesday. The boy was playing with a lighter that ignited clothes in or near a basket in Apartment 2 at 614 W. Washington St., DeHaven said. Because a 3-year-old is not responsible for his actions in Maryland, the fire has been ruled an accident, according to DeHaven.
NEWS
by LYDIA HADFIELD | August 22, 2006
In Pulse's first serial fiction story, a sketchy private detective on his first big case pursues clues found in a trash bin. Chapter 4: On the scent The mysterious noises from the Waskotts' third-floor apartment, the crates transported from their room to a truck, the requests of french fries "for testing," the strange smell emanating from their room and growing stronger - clues buzzed in my brain. My first case was coming together with astonishing speed. I had to sit down for a moment to collect myself.
NEWS
by KAREN HANNA | May 7, 2007
WILLIAMSPORT - Five people were displaced from their homes Sunday when flames swept through the third floor of a downtown Williamsport apartment building, according to fire officials and a report from the Maryland State Fire Marshal. Capt. Kevin Lewis, who was the incident commander on the scene for Williamsport Fire and Emergency Medical Services, said residents of three units planned to stay with family members after the two-alarm blaze. "We were standing here and heard a ... pop or gunfire, and the next thing we know, we saw smoke and flames coming out of the building," said Dean Martin, an East Salisbury Street resident who stood in an alley between his home and the back of the building, watching as firefighters tended to smoldering debris.
NEWS
by MARLO BARNHART | July 8, 2002
marlob@herald-mail.com From the confines of a motel room, Ernestine Nelson and her family are struggling to put their lives back in order after last Tuesday's devastating fire forced them from the apartment they shared. They are grateful they got out alive but the three adults and one preteen only have the clothes they had on that day. All their household possessions are gone and there was no renter's insurance. "The biggest thing we need is a place to rent with three bedrooms," Nelson said.
NEWS
By HEATHER KEELS | May 24, 2008
TRI-STATE - With summer around the corner and Memorial Day barbecues fast approaching, local fire officials are spreading the word that grilling too close to an apartment or town house building is not only dangerous, but illegal. "It's something that we struggle with every year, to raise awareness of the danger," said Jason Mowbray, deputy chief state fire marshal. According to Maryland state law, it is a violation to use a gas or charcoal grill on a balcony, under an overhang or within 15 feet of a dwelling other than a one- or two-family home, Mowbray said.
The Herald-Mail Articles
|