Advertisement

No one hurt in Mitchell Avenue duplex fire

August 13, 2013|By DAN DEARTH | dan.dearth@herald-mail.com
  • Firefighters responded to a fire Tuesday morning in a duplex on Mitchell Avenue in Hagerstown.
By Dan Dearth/Reporter

No one was injured Tuesday morning when a fire broke out on the top floor of a duplex in Hagerstown’s West End.

The fire was reported at 9:51 a.m. at 489-491 Mitchell Ave., city Fire Marshal Doug DeHaven said.

Investigators determined that the fire started in a “second-floor bedroom area” on the 489 side of the building, DeHaven said. The cause was not immediately known.

“There was mostly heat and smoke damage,” DeHaven said.

He said the fire caused enough damage to displace the residents.

DeHaven said he was unsure how many people lived at the duplex, but at least one adult and several children were there when the fire started.

The blaze, which was contained to the bedroom area, was extinguished shortly after firefighters arrived, according to DeHaven.

He said the last units cleared the scene at 11:41 a.m.

Cari Frazier said she was dropping off her brother at her father’s home in the neighborhood on Tuesday morning when she saw smoke.

Advertisement

“It wasn’t like that heavy, thick smoke, but you could see it was something,” Frazier said.

Minor smoke damage could be seen around a second-story window to the rear of the building.

Firefighters placed a large fan near the front door to ventilate the home.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|