Advertisement

Man accused in 2012 of rape in Washington County remains incompetent to stand trial

August 09, 2013|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com

A man accused in 2012 of raping an 89-year-old resident of a county nursing home was back in Washington County Circuit Court on Thursday, where it was determined that he remained incompetent to stand trial.

The 39-year-old man was charged with second-degree rape and second- and third-degree sex offenses in the March 2, 2012, incident at NMS Healthcare, 14014 Marsh Pike, according to court records.

 The man, whose name is not being published because of his mental status, was found to be incompetent to stand trial in January and was committed to the custody of the Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, court records said.

He was in court Thursday for a review hearing.

Assistant State’s Attorney Gina Cirincion told Washington County Circuit Judge Donald E. Beachley that reports from the secure mental-health facility where the man is being held indicate he has shown some improvement in his condition.

Assistant Public Defender Carl Creeden told Beachley that although his client might be improving, his medications cause seizures.

Beachley ordered that the defendant continue to be held by the health department pending a future review of his competency.

The man, who was shackled during the hearing, addressed the court, but it was difficult to hear what he said.

His address was listed in court records as Bowie, Md., while charging documents filed by the Washington County Sheriff’s Office referred to him as a patient of a local health care facility.

Staff members at the nursing home had contacted the sheriff’s office and told a deputy that the man was found naked lying on top of an 89-year-old woman suffering from dementia, the documents said.

The man had been at the facility for five days when the incident occurred, the documents said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|