Richard F. Kuhn, 90

JUNE 7, 1923-JUNE 26, 2013

June 30, 2013
  • Kuhn

Richard F. Kuhn, was born June 7, 1923, on top of the mountain in Foxville, Md. He wasn’t blessed with height but his accomplishments and work ethic would overcome that which haunted him as a youth.

He was a survivor, at the age of 18 he joined the Army. He became part of the famous 7th Cavalry, infamous for their defeat at The Battle of Little Bighorn. At the start of World War II, the 7th Cavalry was reorganized as an infantry division. He fought in Gen. Douglas MacArthur’s island hopping campaign in the Pacific, traveling from New Guinea to the Admiralty Islands and then to the Philippines, surviving many amphibious beach landings under heavy fire. His service career ended with occupation duty in Tokyo Bay, Japan, where he watched the generals and the Emperor of Japan walk onto the USS Missouri to sign The Japanese Instrument of Surrender.

It would be harder to find anyone more patriotic or who walked taller than Dick Kuhn. He dearly loved the flag that he fought so hard to defend. He wasn’t afraid to scold anyone that didn’t take his hat off and salute the flag during the National Anthem.


After the war he went to Hagerstown Business College, where he earned a degree in accounting. He became the chief auditor for the 7th Signal Command at Fort Ritchie. He audited all of the Army installations across the country, visiting all 50 states and eight foreign countries. One of his favorite songs was Vince Gill’s, “Go Rest High On That Mountain.” It didn’t matter where he traveled, he always looked forward to coming home to the mountain and the house in Foxville that he built by himself.

He helped build the Valley Little League and spent more than 30 years coaching the Smithsburg and Thurmont area youth ball teams. It was not uncommon after a baseball game to see the team enjoying an ice cream cone in the back of his Chevy truck following a trip from town.

He retired from the government with 30 years of service. In later years he would proudly boast, “I beat the system,” having been retired for more years than he worked. Retired for 40 years he had plenty of time to pursue his hobbies. He loved to hunt mushrooms. He enjoyed farming some of his good mountain ground which provided family and friends fresh vegetables throughout the summer. He was especially proud of his corn and potatoes. He liked to hunt and fish but just enjoyed watching nature’s animals. His mountain home provided him this luxury, giving him peace and tranquility to help heal his emotional scars from the past. He was a survivor enduring multiple heart attacks, a broken neck, carotid artery surgery’s, heart valve replacement, and two pacemakers.

In his last years, he sought much comfort from his animals, his adopted dog, Cowboy and his chickens, most notably his rooster that helped him deal with being confined to a wheel chair.

On June 26, 2013, he went to “Go Rest High On That Mountain.”

The Herald-Mail Articles