Advertisement

Patients, employees evacuated from Reeders Memorial Home

June 09, 2013|By JULIE E. GREENE | julieg@herald-mail.com

BOONSBORO — Approximately 15 to 20 patients and employees were evacuated from a section of Reeders Memorial Home on Sunday morning after an electrical short in a light fixture set off the sprinkler system, Boonsboro Fire Capt. Tommy Arnold said.

No one was injured, Arnold said.

Emergency services officials said the incident was reported at about 7:30 a.m. Sunday at the nursing home, which is at 141 S. Main Street in Boonsboro.

The electrical short occurred in a light fixture in a residential patient room on the second floor, Arnold said. There was a little smoke, but the sprinkler system held the incident “in check,” Arnold said.

The sprinkler system caused some water damage, he said.

Firefighters had the affected wing of the nursing home evacuated, he said.

Firefighters made sure there was no fire in adjacent rooms, including the ones above and below, and checked rooms to ensure there were no electrical fire hazards created by the water, Arnold said.

Del Downing, administrator for Reeders, said shortly before noon Sunday that the water had been removed from the affected rooms, the rooms were disinfected and affected residents were already back in their rooms.

The affected residents were moved to another part of the facility while the area was cleaned, Downing said.

Arnold said 30 to 35 emergency service officials were called to the incident. In addition to the First Hose Co. of Boonsboro, crews from fire companies in Sharpsburg; Middletown, Md.; and Shepherdstown, W.Va., responded. Ambulance companies from Boonsboro and Sharpsburg also were called, he said.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|