Police looking for person who robbed bank on Frederick St. in Hagerstown

April 22, 2013|By DAVE McMILLION |

A man who claimed he had a gun made off with an undisclosed amount of money in a robbery Monday morning at a Susquehanna Bank on Frederick Street in Hagerstown, according to a Hagerstown Police Department spokesman.

The robbery at 940 Frederick St., was called in at 11:13 a.m., according to a Washington County 911 supervisor.

The man passed a note inside the bank and the message demanded money, said Detective Sgt. Jim Hurd. The man also said in the note that he had a gun but he did not show one, Hurd said.

A police dog was brought to the scene and the dog picked up a track, which went north on Frederick Street, Hurd said.

The dog followed the track to Willow Circle where the track ended, Hurd said.

It is possible the man entered a vehicle at that point, Hurd said.

The man is being described as white, having a small build and being at least in his mid-50s, Hurd said.

He was wearing a black jacket and it is possible he was wearing a white button-down shirt under the jacket, Hurd said.

The man was wearing a Navy blue baseball cap with some sort of insignia on it, sunglasses and cargo pants, Hurd said.

Hurd said anyone with information about the robbery can call the Hagerstown Police Department’s criminal investigation division at 301-790-3700, ext. 234. Information can also be sent to police at

The bank previously was robbed in Sept. 1, 2011. In that case, police apprehended a Virginia man after a brief car chase that leveled fences and ended in a field behind Bester Elementary School.

In that case, Carl Whited, 46, of 168 Rocky Road in Luray, Va., was charged with robbery, armed robbery, assault, reckless endangerment, theft, damage to property, possession of stolen property and failure of vehicle driver to stop after unattended property damage accident, according to a published report at the time.

Whited pleaded guilty to armed robbery, second-degree assault and malicious destruction of property and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The Herald-Mail Articles