Advertisement

Firefighters battle blaze at home near Waynesboro

April 18, 2013|By JENNIFER FITCH | waynesboro@herald-mail.com
  • Firefighters battled a blaze Thursday night at a home near the intersection of Anthony Highway (Pa.997) and Stottlemyer Road near Waynesboro, Pa.
Photo by Jennifer Fitch, Staff Writer

WAYNESBORO, Pa. — A Thursday night fire gutted a home north of Waynesboro and sent a resident to the hospital, a fire official said.

A woman was transported by ambulance for smoke inhalation, Waynesboro Fire Chief Dave Martin said.

The fire at 11542 Thames Lane in Washington Township, Pa., was dispatched at 9:09 p.m. Initial reports indicated people might be trapped inside, but Martin said the ranch-style house’s occupants and dogs were safely outside when firefighters arrived.

Robert Calimer owns and lives in the house with two other adults and a teenager, Martin said. The property is insured, he said.

The fire started accidentally with a pan being used for cooking on the stove, according to the fire chief.

The first crews to arrive found heavy fire in the back of the house, Martin said. The fire seemed to be concentrated in the kitchen and hallway, he said.

Firefighters took hose lines in both the front and back doors to get water on the blaze. Fire police shut down nearby roads.

The home, which has brick and siding, is close to the Sheffield Manor development near the intersection of Anthony Highway (Pa. 997) and Stottlemyer Road.

Windows were broken out and smoke was coming from a section of the roof. The blaze completely gutted the house, and firefighters hauled out debris as they checked for hidden spots where fire could be smoldering. Electric service to the home was disconnected as they worked.

Officials contacted the American Red Cross of the Cumberland Valley to assist the residents.

Martin said he did not hear activated smoke detectors when he was inside.

Responding fire departments included Waynesboro, Mont Alto, Blue Ridge Summit and Fountaindale from Pennsylvania as well as Leitersburg from Maryland. A rehabilitation unit from Washington County, Md., was on the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|