Advertisement

Former W.Va. trooper accused of soliciting minor pleads no contest

John Anthony Donohue was fined $100 and ordered to pay $160.80 in court costs

April 09, 2013|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD | matthewu@herald-mail.com

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — The case against a former West Virginia State Police trooper who had been accused of soliciting two teenage girls for sexual relations and nude photos in 2011 has been resolved, Berkeley County Prosecuting Attorney Pamela Games-Neely’s office confirmed Tuesday.

John Anthony Donohue, 26, of Plattsburgh, N.Y., pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor count of providing false information to police, according to Berkeley County Magistrate Court documents.

Donohue, who was fined $100 and ordered to pay $160.80 in court costs, paid the penalty last month by money order, according to court records.

Donohue had been charged with one felony count of soliciting a minor, but Games-Neely said Monday that the victim in the case elected not to proceed and a plea agreement was then worked out with defense attorney B. Craig Manford.

Advertisement

Donohue, who had been stationed in the Eastern Panhandle, resigned from the State Police in March 2011, officials had said.

Until it was dismissed, the felony case was pending in Berkeley County Circuit Court. Donohue waived his right to a preliminary hearing in June 2011, according to court documents.

The defendant’s misdemeanor no contest plea could not be readily found Tuesday in the magistrate court’s database because Donohue’s last name was spelled incorrectly in the system, according to court records and documents.

The case was resolved on Nov. 29, according to court documents.

Donohue was accused of engaging in sexual contact with one of two girls on March 18, 2011, at his residence. Police allege he attempted to engage in sexual contact with both, according to court documents.

State Police Sgt. D.E. Boober said in a complaint that the defendant was approximately eight years older than both minor females and was “repeatedly presented with statements and other warning signs” that the two teens were not 18 years old, according to court documents.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|