Advertisement

Fire damages house on Cavetown Church Road

No one at home at time of blaze

April 05, 2013|By CALEB CALHOUN | caleb.calhoun@herald-mail.com
  • A firefighter cuts a hole in the roof for ventilation at a home on Cavetown Church Road after a fire damaged the two story home Friday afternoon.
By Ric Dugan/Staff Photographer

CAVETOWN — Two pets died in a house fire near Smithsburg when nobody was home Friday afternoon, a fire official said.

A dog and a cat were found dead in the house, located at 22535 Cavetown Church Road, Smithsburg Volunteer Fire Co. Deputy Chief Chuck Johnson said.

The fire, which damaged the first floor of the house, was reported at about 1 p.m., and smoke could be seen rising through the roof of the two-story house at about 1:25 p.m.

Johnson said the fire was out by about 1:45 p.m., but firefighters were double-checking to make sure there was no fire in the walls.

“When the first crews got there, there was heavy smoke, and heavy fire on the first floor,” he said. “They were able to get a quick knock on that and make their way through the rest of the house.”

The cause of the fire was not immediately known, Johnson said.

The fire mostly was contained to the first floor of the house, Johnson said, but there was “extensive heat damage and smoke damage” throughout the house. Firefighters broke out windows on the second floor and in the attic and made an opening in the roof to vent the smoke, Johnson said.

“Mostly everything inside the house on the first floor has been damaged by the heat and smoke,” he said.

The fire marshal was expected at the scene.

Six firetrucks, two ambulances and five special units were at the scene. A ladder from one of the firetrucks extended to the roof of the house.

Cavetown Church Road was closed at the intersection with Mapleville Road (Md. 66).

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|