School bus involved in 3-vehicle crash

no students injured

Drivers of two vehicles taken to Meritus Medical Center with non life-threatening injuries

February 26, 2013|BY DAVE McMILLION |
  • A student looks back at the damage after the school bus she was riding in was involved in an accident with two other vehicles on Lappans Road (Md. 68) Tuesday afternoon.
By Ric Dugan, Staff Photographer

A car struck a pickup truck, which forced the truck under a Washington County Public Schools bus on Lappans Road in the area of Lock Tender Lane, about three miles southeast of Williamsport, on Tuesday afternoon, according to Maryland State Police.

There were 17 Springfield Middle School students and the driver on the bus but none of them was injured, officials said.

Senior Trooper Andre Butler said the bus stopped on eastbound Lappans Road to let off some students.

Morris Charles Fleming, 36, of Martinsburg, W.Va., came up behind the bus, did not stop, and his 2006 Subaru station wagon struck the back of the 2011 Toyota pickup truck being driven by Michael J. Adams, 55, of Harpers Ferry, W.Va., pushing Adams’ vehicle into the bus, Butler said.

Adams was trapped in his truck before rescue crews were able to free him. Adams and Fleming were taken to Meritus Medical Center for non life-threatening injuries, state police said.


Butler said Fleming told him after the crash that the reason he did not stop for the truck is because he fainted.

Fleming was charged with failure to control speed to avoid a collision, Butler said.

Another bus came to the scene to pick up students from the bus involved in the crash and some parents came to the scene to pick up students, state police said.

Parents were alerted that their children could be as much as 45 minutes late from the regular drop-off time, said Washington County Public Schools spokesman Richard Wright.

A Washington County Emergency Services supervisor said the accident was reported at 2:40 p.m.

Students on the bus ranged in age from 11 to 14 years old, Butler said.

Lappans Road was closed in both directions to allow rescue crews to work at the scene and to allow students to board the other bus, Butler said.

Staff writer Julie E. Greene contributed to this story.

The Herald-Mail Articles