Advertisement

Fire damages house on Locust Grove Road

February 18, 2013|By DAN DEARTH | dan.dearth@herald-mail.com
  • Firefighters work on the roof of a house on Locust Grove Road that was damaged in a fire Monday.
By Dustin Lawyer

A fire that started in a wood stove damaged a house Monday morning at 4409 Locust Grove Road near Rohrersville.

Boonsboro Assistant Fire Chief Troy Lloyd said smoke was showing from all four sides of the roof when the first units arrived at about 11 a.m.

“We had to rip the walls out to get to (the fire),” Lloyd said.

He said firefighters had the fire under control in about 10 minutes. Because a hydrant wasn’t available, tanker trucks from fire companies in three counties lined up along Locust Grove Road to supply water.

Patricia Shoemaker, 71, said she lives at the home with her dog.

Shoemaker was inside when she smelled something funny, she said, but didn’t believe it was a fire at first.

“I didn’t understand what was going on,” Shoemaker said. “When I looked upstairs, I just saw the smoke.”

It was then, she said, she called 911.

Shoemaker, who has lived at the two-story house for 57 years, said she wasn’t sure about the extent of the damage to the structure and its contents. She said she had another place to stay if the damages were too severe.

“I’ve got some place to go, but if I can, I’m going to stay right here,” she said.

Shoemaker praised the firefighters for their professionalism.
“They couldn’t have been better,” she said.

Firefighters from Boonsboro, Sharpsburg, Potomac Valley and Middletown, Md., were among those who responded to the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|