Advertisement

Fire officials: Candle started Waynesboro duplex blaze

February 17, 2013

WAYNESBORO, Pa. — Waynesboro fire officials believe a candle started a fire Saturday night in a duplex at 25 W. Fourth St.

Firefighters contained damage to a second-floor bedroom, Waynesboro Deputy Chief Trayer Stoops said.

The first crews on the scene at about 10 p.m. saw fire in the windows on the side of the home, Stoops said Sunday.

“The residents were getting out of the house,” he said. “They apparently tried to fight the fire before we arrived.”

Four or five people were inside when the fire broke out, and they escaped safely, Stoops said. No firefighters were injured, he said.

Some firefighters from Waynesboro, Mont Alto and Blue Ridge Summit took a hose line to the second floor, while others ventilated the space with the windows, Stoops said.

Advertisement

The home had smoke detectors, but at least one had its battery removed, Stoops said.

— Jennifer Fitch

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|