Man charged with attempted murder after stabbing, standoff at Hagerstown residence

Teenage victim expected to recover

February 17, 2013
  • Hagerstown City Police Officers William Decker, right, and Sgt. John Lehman put Jenerette Dixon into a squad car after a standoff Saturday evening on Jonathan Street.
By Ric Dugan, Staff Photographer

A Hagerstown man has been charged with attempted murder in connection with a weekend stabbing of a teenager on North Jonathan Street, according to a news release from the Hagerstown Police Department.

Jenerette Bartholomew Dixon, 38, of 340 Jonathan St., was charged with attempted murder, assault and possession of a dangerous weapon with intent to injure, and reckless endangerment, the news release states.

Dixon was being held without bond Sunday at the Washington County Detention Center.

Hagerstown Police were dispatched Saturday, shortly after 4 p.m., to a house at 340 N. Jonathan St., where witnesses said a female was seen running from the house with a knife in her chest.

The teenage female who was stabbed was taken to Meritus Medical Center with potentially life-threatening wounds, Police Chief Mark Holtzman said Saturday.

After undergoing emergency surgery, the teenager was expected to recover, according to the news release issued Sunday by police.


Officers carrying handguns, semiautomatic rifles and shotguns surrounded the house and waited for the Washington County Special Response Team to arrive. About halfway through the incident, an armored vehicle pulled up in front of the gray, two-story house.

SWAT team members pointed their weapons at the home from behind the armored vehicle. Floodlights were shone on the windows.

Holtzman said Saturday that a negotiator and the man inside were talking on cellphones until communications broke down. At that point, several officers wearing body armor walked up to the house and opened the door with a battering ram. The officers then retreated to cover behind the armored vehicle.

Shortly thereafter, a negotiator could be heard over a loudspeaker talking to the man inside.

At 6:35 p.m., a man wearing a red shirt walked out of the house with his hands up. He stepped into the street and stopped near the armored vehicle, where police arrested him. The SWAT team entered the house immediately after the man was taken into custody.

“It’s a good example of a successful negotiation,” Holtzman said Saturday.

— Julie E. Greene

The Herald-Mail Articles