Advertisement

Firefighter burned on hand in chimney blaze

February 03, 2013

A Longmeadow Volunteer Fire Co. firefighter received a second-degree burn to the hand after a Saturday morning chimney fire in the Smithsburg area flashed up the chimney, Longmeadow Fire Chief Jason Eckstine said.

The volunteer firefighter was taken to Meritus Medical Center and was released about four hours later, Eckstine said. It will be a couple of days before the firefighter returns to service, Eckstine said Sunday.

Longmeadow was assisting Smithsburg Community Volunteer Fire Co. on a chimney fire call in the 13200 block of Edgemont Road shortly after 1 a.m. Saturday, according to an email from James Ulrich, chief of operations for Smithsburg Emergency Medical Services. Edgemont Road is northeast of Smithsburg.

Eckstine said the wounded firefighter was working on the roof. The chimney had gotten clogged and when the obstruction was broken free, the fire flashed on the firefighter’s hand, said Eckstine, who was not on the call.

— Julie E. Greene

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|