Advertisement

Fire destroys home in Back Creek Valley

no one injured

January 02, 2013

HEDGESVILLE, W.Va. — A fire that destroyed a two-story home in the Back Creek Valley area of Berkeley County Tuesday night started in the chimney area of the structure, Hedgesville Volunteer Fire Co. Chief Mike Nichols said.

The two adults and two children who lived there weren’t home at the time, according to Nichols. No one was hurt.

Nichols estimated the blaze at 195 Cherub Run caused $400,000 to $500,000 in damages after it spread into the attic and second floor of the wood-frame home.

The structure off Abe Myers Road was being heated with a wood stove at the time, according to Nichols and a Berkeley County 911 emergency dispatch supervisor.

Advertisement

A family member returned home to discover the fire, which was reported at 7:35 p.m, Nichols said.

He said the second floor was engulfed in flames and fire had gone through the roof when he arrived.

The American Red Cross was contacted to help the family, Nichols said.

Firefighters from Hedgesville were joined by firefighting units from Back Creek Valley, Bedington, Baker Heights and Berkeley Springs volunteer fire companies and the 167th Airlift Wing of the West Virginia Air National Guard.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|