Advertisement

Community 'stepped up' to assist Big Pool Road family displaced by fire

Electrical outlet malfunction might have caused blaze

December 24, 2012
  • Dewey Woods, 3, holds a gingerbread firefighter as he sits with Santa Claus on Sunday night at the Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Co. activities building. Dewey and his family were burned out of their Big Pool home Saturday and already have found a new place to live. They received gifts and cash from around the Tri-State area and beyond.
By Joe Crocetta

CLEAR SPRING — An electrical outlet malfunction was suspected of causing a Saturday morning fire on Big Pool Road that displaced four adults and a child, according to deputy state fire marshal.

The family has moved into another residence, Clear Spring Volunteer Fire Co. member Eric Reid said Monday morning.

“The community really stepped up,” Reid said. Plenty of clothing and toys have been donated to help the family of Stephen Wood, Reid said.

The family has moved to a home on Indian Springs Road where the owner has agreed to donate the first three months’ rent to allow the family to get back on its feet, Reid said.

As far as more donations, Reid said people should wait until after Christmas and then check the Clear Spring Fire Co. Facebook page to see what furniture and other items the family needs.

The fire in the home at 11183 Big Pool Road began in the first-floor laundry room of the two-story frame house, causing about $70,000 in damage to the building and $20,000 in damage to its contents, according to Deputy State Fire Marshal Edward Ernst.

Clear Spring Fire Chief Michael L. Reid said Saturday that the house was a complete loss.

Firefighters from Hancock, Maugansville and Halfway responded to the fire, along with Washington County’s special operations, air and rehab units, according to Ernst’s notice of investigation.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|