Case of Sharpsburg man charged after manhunt continued

December 19, 2012|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Agents from the FBI SWAT Team from Baltimore exit the Washington County Special Response Team's armored vehicle at the intersection of Burnside Bridge Road and Mills Road Nov. 29 during a manhunt for Terry Allen Porter, 46, of 4433 Mills Road.
File photo

HAGERSTOWN — A Sharpsburg man charged last month with illegal possession of firearms was granted a continuance during a hearing Wednesday in Washington County District Court.

Defense attorney Gregory Bannon asked Judge Mark D. Thomas to grant the continuance because he said he needed more time to prepare for the defense of Terry Allen Porter, 46, of 4433 Mills Road.

Porter and Bannon spent about a minute in court on Wednesday to ask for the continuance. Porter declined to comment afterward.

Porter has been charged with seven counts each of being a convicted felon in possession of a rifle or shotgun and possession of firearms after being convicted of a disqualifying offense, according to court records.

His criminal record includes a 1992 conviction for aiding and abetting in the distribution of marijuana before a U.S. magistrate in West Virginia, according to U.S. District Court documents. He was sentenced to six months incarceration and three years probation in the case.

Porter was the subject of a manhunt after Maryland State Police were unable to find him while serving a search warrant seeking firearms at his home on Nov. 29. FBI and state police SWAT teams, and the Washington County Special Response Team responded to the scene, prompting some Sharpsburg residents and Porter’s neighbors to complain about what they labeled an overuse of force.

About 60 people attended each of two meetings on Dec. 8 and Dec. 15 at Sharpsburg Town Hall to show support for Porter and to discuss the way authorities handled the situation.

Porter turned himself in to authorities on Nov. 30. He was briefly held on a $75,000 bond before posting bail.

Two searches of Porter's property — one by warrant on Nov. 29 and another by consent on Nov. 30 — produced four shotguns, a .30-30-caliber rifle and two .22-caliber rifles, court records show.

The Herald-Mail Articles