Advertisement

Firefighters respond to kitchen fire in Hagerstown

December 16, 2012

Smoke was rolling out of an oven in a Hagerstown West End apartment Sunday morning after someone baking cookies put the oven on clean mode, Hagerstown Fire Capt. Adam Hopkins said.

Hagerstown firefighters responded Sunday morning to a third-floor apartment at 607 W. Washington St. for a reported kitchen fire, emergency service officials said.

On clean mode, the oven door automatically locked and the oven temperature reached higher temperatures than normal for baking, Hopkins said.

“Smoke started rolling out of the oven,” Hopkins said of the incident, reported at 10:40 a.m. Sunday.

By the time firefighters got the oven door open, by temporarily shutting off electricity to the oven, the cookies were charred, Hopkins said.

Hopkins said several residents in the three-story apartment building evacuated the building on their own. Any residents who remained in the apartment building were allowed to stay inside because the fire was small and contained, he said.

No one needed to be treated for smoke inhalation, according to a 911 supervisor.

There was no damage to the apartment, just the lingering odor of smoke after firefighters cleared smoke out of the building, Hopkins said.

“Pretty much, just burned the cookies up,” Hopkins said.

Advertisement

— Julie E. Greene

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|