Advertisement

Hagerstown man sentenced for second-degree child abuse

Darryl Xavier Talley Jr. was sentenced to 15 years in prison with five years suspended

December 05, 2012|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com
  • Talley
Talley

A Hagerstown man indicted on charges that he seriously injured a child earlier this year was sentenced last week in Washington County Circuit Court to 10 years in prison.

Darryl Xavier Talley Jr., 26, of 1317 Jay Drive, Hagerstown, was sentenced Thursday, Nov. 29, by Judge M.

Kenneth Long Jr. to 15 years in prison with five years suspended, court records said. He had pleaded guilty to second-degree child abuse on Oct. 22, court records said.

More serious charges, including first-degree child abuse resulting in severe physical injury, were dismissed as part of the plea agreement, court records said. He was also given five years on probation, court records said.

Assistant State’s Attorney Michele Hansen said this week that the plea was offered because of evidentiary issued with the case. While Talley was the last person known to be with the child, other adults in the residence had access to the boy during the time period during which he was injured.

Advertisement

Talley was indicted over the summer by a Washington County Circuit Court grand jury with causing injuries to Kaleb Marcello Adams between March 22 and 23. The child was 1-year-old at the time, court records said.

On March 23 Adams was taken to Meritus Medical Center and then to Children’s National Medical Center in Washington, D.C., according to a copy of the Hagerstown police investigative report. Doctors told police that the boy had sustained fractures to both sides of his skull, the report said.

The child has since come out of a coma and is now back with his family and receiving therapy and treatment in this area, Hansen said.

A doctor told investigators that the injuries were “non-accidental blunt force trauma,” possibly from the child’s head being smashed against something, according to the investigative report.

The boy’s mother told police she had dropped the boy off at the Jay Drive residence on March 21, the report said.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|