Advertisement

Hagerstown man charged with second-degree attempted murder in attack with sledgehammer

November 26, 2012|By DON AINES | dona@herald-mail.com
  • Alton Martin Burke
Alton Martin Burke

A Hagerstown man has been charged by Maryland State Police with second-degree attempted murder after a man was attacked with a sledgehammer earlier this month near Clear Spring.

Alton Martin Burke, 18, of 822 Washington Ave., also was charged with three counts each of first- and  second-degree assault and one count of reckless endangerment. The charges stem from an incident that occurred at about 1 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 17, in a wooded area off the 11600 block of Big Pool Road, the application for statement of charges said.

Burke was arrested Wednesday, Nov. 21, and was in the Washington County Detention Monday on $600,000 bond, according to court records.

Police went to the address for a report of an assault with weapons and found one man, Tyler Christian Spenser, 21, with injuries that included two broken ribs, two broken vertebrae, a head injury and abrasions, the charging document said. He was at a party in a wooded area when a fight broken out after another man spilled a drink on a woman, the document said.

Spenser told police that Burke came to the party with two or three other men and got into a fight with one of Burke’s companions, according to information in the charging document. Spenser told police that, during the struggle, Burke hit him eight to 10 times with the sledgehammer, the document said.

Spenser told investigators that another of Burke’s companions struck him with a pipe and that a companion of Spenser’s was hit in the wrist by Burke, the charging document said.

Another man, Yannick Mundy, told police that Burke struck him in the back of the head with a large piece of wood, the charging document said.

One witness told investigators that people at the party were “begging Alton to stop” for fear he would kill Spenser, the charging document said.

While the application for statement of charges, named several other men who reportedly were involved in the altercation, none had been charged as of Monday, according to district court records.

Advertisement

Editor's note: This story was edited Nov. 28, 2012, to correct Tyler Spenser's middle name, which was incorrectly listed in court records.

The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|