Advertisement

Man killed in Monday fire identified

November 07, 2012|By DAVE McMILLION | davem@herald-mail.com
  • Firefighters are shown Monday working through the burned mobile home at 1807 Back Road near Sharpsburg.
By Yvette May/Staff Photographer

A Monday morning fire that killed a 42-year-old man in the mobile home where he resided near Sharpsburg was caused when a wood floor under a wood stove caught fire, a spokesman for the Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office said Wednesday night.

The man who was killed was identified as John Thomas King, the State Fire Marshal’s Office said in a news release.

King died of smoke inhalation and thermal burn injuries, the release said.

The wood stove was inside a wood addition to the mobile home, which was at 1807 Back Road, said Maryland State Fire Marshal’s Office spokesman Bruce Bouch.

The addition was about 8-feet-by-14-feet, Bouch said.

The legs of the wood stove were sitting on pavers but there was exposed wood flooring beneath the stove, Bouch said.

Years of use of the wood stove caused the wood floor under the stove to dry out to the point that it was more susceptible to catching fire, Bouch said.

After the fire started on the floor, it quickly spread to the interior of the mobile home and trapped King, the release said.

There was no evidence of smoke alarms in the home, the release said.

Damage to the home was estimated at $45,000, the release said.

Fire officials said this week they had been waiting for the medical examiner’s office in Baltimore to determine the identity the body found the home.

The mobile home was on a lot off a gravel lane near the Potomac River in a rural area south of Sharpsburg.

Bouch said earlier that a State Fire Marshal’s Office accelerant-sniffing dog was brought in but did not detect any sign of gases, liquids or other substances used to commit arson.

He said the fire was reported at 5:15 a.m. It took 20 firefighters about 15 minutes to get the blaze under control.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|