Man facing counts of burglary after making sandwich in Martinsburg home

Jomo Kenyatta Morris was arraigned on one felony count of night time burglary

October 24, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — Jomo Kenyatta Morris wasn’t dressed up as the Hamburglar, but he appears to have acted out at least a portion of the role in real life at a couple’s home in Martinsburg early Wednesday.

Morris, who was arraigned Wednesday morning on one felony count of night time burglary, apparently burglarized a home in the 100 block of South Kentucky Avenue hours earlier to make a sandwich, according to Berkeley County Magistrate Court records. Morris, 23, of no fixed address, was being held in Eastern Regional Jail Wednesday night on a $20,000 bond set by Magistrate Joan V. Bragg, according to jail and court records.

When discovered in the kitchen of the home just after 3 a.m., Morris was at the table making a sandwich and had the refrigerator open, according to a complaint filed in court by Martinsburg Police Department Patrol officer E.C. Neely.

The couple who live at the home told police they both attempted to get the man to leave, but he repeatedly told them that “he had done this before, and wasn’t leaving,” Neely said in his complaint.


Police were told the man left just before they arrived, according to court documents.

Morris was found three “doors” down from the home on South Kentucky Avenue by police and physically detained after Neely said the defendant failed to respond to orders to get on the ground, according to court documents.

Four slices of yellow American cheese and a portion of the defendant’s uneaten sandwich were later found in Morris’ front right pants pocket at the police station, according to court documents. 

The woman who found Morris in her kitchen told police that her husband had left the front door open for her just before he went to bed, according to court documents.

When she arrived home, she heard something in the kitchen area and assumed it was her husband, according to court documents.

Instead, she found a man dressed in a red and white striped polo shirt with dread locks, and she ran to get her husband, according to court documents.

Police didn’t find any signs of forced entry at the home, according to court documents.

The Herald-Mail Articles