Advertisement

Franklin St. house fire displaces five residents

one treated for smoke inhalation

Blaze broke out in basement breaker box; smoke alarm alerted occupants

October 18, 2012

One person suffered smoke inhalation and four others were displaced when a fire started in the basement of a home early Thursday at 229 E. Franklin St. in Hagerstown, a city spokeswoman said.

Hagerstown spokeswoman Erin Wolfe said the fire, which was reported around midnight, started in a breaker box. She said damage was limited to the basement, and firefighters cleared the scene by 1:30 a.m.

The Red Cross was called to help the people who were displaced.

Wolfe said one resident was transported by Community Rescue Service to Meritus Medical Center east of Hagerstown to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire officials said smoke detectors warned the residents of the fire.

Wolfe said people who want help checking their smoke detectors may call the Hagerstown Fire Department at 301-790-2476.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|