Boys Soccer: Boonsboro falls to FSK in 2OT

October 15, 2012|By BOB PARASILITI |
  • Boonsboro's Twanda Mukudzavhu, left, and FSK's Brendon Dooley battle for the ball during the first half of Monday night's game.
By Ric Dugan/Staff Photographer

BOONSBORO — The Boonsboro boys soccer team found all that glitters is not a golden goal.

Especially when you don’t score it.

It all tarnished for the Warriors in quick fashion when Jacob Gosselin popped in a point-blank goal in the 91st minute — the first minute of the second overtime — on Monday to give Francis Scott Key the sudden goal for a sudden 3-2 victory.

“That’s what happens during a golden goal,” said Boonsboro coach Roy Rickerds. “It was just how it goes tonight.”

But, in reality, the Warriors went from being on the doorstep of a victory with five minutes remaining to tied with under two left in regulation to walking off in sudden death in 16 minutes of playing time.

“This was the third game we lost like this this year,” Rickerds said. “With five minutes to go, we had the win and we gave it up. We got lazy.”

FSK held a 1-0 lead at the half with a goal in the 24th minute when Colin Puckett unloaded a shot from the top of the box past Boonsboro goalie Greg Fiola and into the lower right side of the net.

The Eagles got into position as Boonsboro had some loose play in the midfield area, allowing FSK to continually pressure the goal.

“That has hurt us all year,” Rickerds said.

Boonsboro was at its best in a two-minute section of the second half when it pushed FSK out of the midfield and put on an all-out attack on the goal.

The tying goal came in the 53rd minute when Kyle Rossen dug a ball out of the right corner and centered to Bryan Letendre on the left corner of the box. Letendre fed it across to Rusty Kopp, who fired it past FSK goalkeeper Jacob Holechek.

The Warriors quickly took the lead in the 55th minute in flash mob fashion.

Boonsboro centered the ball past Holechek, and half the front line rushed to the goal. Letendre fed the ball to Jared Bown, who scored from so close, he followed the ball into the net for a 2-1 lead.

The Warriors strongly defended FSK’s attempts to tie, the best of which was Hunter Strine’s 15-yard shot that forced Fiola to make a leaping save.

But the Eagles broke away with under two minutes to go in the match as Brady Cook hit from the right side of the net off an assist by Puckett to force the overtime.

After the tying goal, play opened up with frantic end-to-end action in an effort to avoid overtime. It followed as each team looked for an early end to the extra time.

But it didn’t come until the second overtime as FSK blocked Boonsboro’s first attempt and turned it into a fast break to the other end.

Krystofer Mihulka dug a long pass out of the right corner and put it on Gosselin’s foot at the front of the net for the deciding goal.

Fiola finished with eight saves for Boonsboro.

“We couldn’t finish our opportunities tonight,” Rickerds said.

The Herald-Mail Articles