Man charged with murder in shooting death arrested Friday in Baltimore

October 15, 2012|By DON AINES |

A Hagerstown man wanted for the June 24 killing at a birthday party in Hagerstown was arrested on drug and firearm charges last week in Baltimore, according to Baltimore City District Court records.

Marcus Deon Longus, 18, formerly of 1036 Ross St., was taken into custody Friday on charges, including use of a firearm in a drug trafficking crime, possession with intent to distribute narcotics, false statements to a police officer and other drug and firearm charges, court records said.

Baltimore City Detective Jeremy Silbert said police pulled over a vehicle at 9 p.m. on Clifton Avenue for an equipment malfunction. Officers discovered suspected drugs and a loaded handgun inside, he said.

Longus gave police a false name, Silbert said. He and a woman in the vehicle were both placed under arrest, he said.

He was being held without bond and is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on the drug charges on Nov. 7, according to court records.

Lt. Thomas Langston of the Hagerstown Police Department wrote in an email that he did not know when Longus will be returned to Washington County because of the new charges filed by Baltimore police.

Hagerstown police charged Longus with first-degree murder and other offenses in the shooting death of Antonio Michael Joyner, 25, of Walkersville, Md. Joyner was shot while at a birthday party at 730 Guilford Ave.

At the time of the shooting, police said 20 or more people were at the party when a fight broke out “possibly over a missing cell phone,” the application for statement of charges said. Joyner, who was later pronounced dead at Meritus Medical Center, was shot in the chest, according to the document.

After the shooting, people fled the house, but investigators were able to identify several who were later interviewed and shown photo arrays, the charging document said. The witnesses picked out Longus’ as being among a group of four males who arrived together at the party, the charging document said.

Also at the party was Fantaisa Rivera, known to have been Longus’ girlfriend, the charging document said. Rivera was also present at a 2010 accidental shooting at Longus’ home in which his younger brother was wounded.

During the party a woman put her cell phone on a table while she did a “keg stand,” the charging document said. Afterward, the phone was missing and the woman became angry, the document said.

A male at the party told people to turn their pockets inside out and started patting them down, the charging document said. The fight began when the man tried to pat down one of the males who came to the party with Longus, the document said.

A witness told investigators that Longus was standing in the kitchen holding a gun and saw him shoot Joyner, the charging document said.

A warrant charging Longus with Joyner’s murder was issued three days after the shooting.

Warrants also had been issued for Longus’ arrest for violating probation on earlier criminal convictions.

During a search of the Ross Street address, investigators found ammunition “consistent” with ammunition found at the homicide scene.

Longus had accumulated a number of charges as a juvenile and an adult, according to court records.

He was 16 and on community detention for a juvenile offense when his then 2-year-old brother, Mario, was shot in the chest at their Little Elliott Drive apartment on Sept. 27, 2010.

Longus later pleaded guilty to hindering police and was sentenced to one year in jail.

The gun Mario Longus apparently used to shoot himself in the chest was reported stolen a few weeks earlier from the vehicle of a federal law-enforcement officer in Keedysville. The injury left the boy paralyzed.

In 2011, Marcus Longus was charged with stealing a gun and a car from a Hagerstown man and woman. He pleaded guilty to unauthorized removal of property and was given a sentence of four months and eight days of time served.

Prior to the shooting, Longus was also being investigated by the Washington County Narcotics Task Force, according to a violation of probation petition, although court records do not indicate he was ever charged.

The Herald-Mail Articles