Boys Soccer: Hubs try, try, try again until Dossouvi's winning goal in OT

October 02, 2012|By TIM KOELBLE |
  • Linganore's Nick Butler fires a shot wide as North Hagerstown goalkeeper Max Ober (1) charges out to defend during Tuesday night's boys soccer game at Mike Callas Stadium.
By Ric Dugan/Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — With a hint of fog moving in on Mike Callas Stadium, North Hagerstown put an end to the proceedings that reached overtime with a 1-0 victory over Linganore on Tuesday night.

Senior Neal Dossouvi was in the right place to score his first goal of the season three minutes into overtime to break a two-game loss streak for the Hubs (5-4).

Often in the second half, Connor Troxell worked his way to the corner, looking to get the ball inside but to no avail. The Hubs couldn’t connect.

But it worked in overtime as Troxell looped a ball just inside the penalty box. Dossouvi sighted the ball on the ground and knocked in his shot pass Linganore goalie Nick Weinel.

“We worked on that play and had opportunities but we just didn’t finish,” said North coach Glen Singer. “(Troxell) had room on the outside and (Dossouvi) hit it.”

North had plenty going from midfield toward the Linganore goal, but shots were just off the target. The Hubs put 16 on goal and another nine went wide of the posts.

The Hubs had two prime chances in the first half with Ben Roberts just missing in the 15th minute off a corner kick from 8 feet. In the 34th minute, Troxell missed a shot at the Linganore net.

“We’ve been creating chances, but just haven’t been lucky enough,” said Singer.

The Hubs attacked quickly at the outset of the second half as Ryan Byard went on the offensive but couldn’t hit on three shots.

In the 32nd minute, Troxell again went to the corner and spotted Mark Grunberg, who just missed the mark.

Not lost in the victory was a third shutout posted by goalie Max Ober, who recorded six saves out of 11 shots by Linganore (3-5-1).

Ober had a critical save in the 20th minute of the second half when he shut down a shot by Luke Staley on a one-on-one move.

Just four minutes later, Ober took control of a loose ball from a corner kick in front of the net.

All three of Ober’s shutouts were 1-0 victories.

“We’ve worked on defense and we had them well covered,” said Singer.

Singer said he hopes the overtime win propels the Hubs, who had back-to-back shutout losses to Williamsport and Brunswick.

“I hope this gets us off the schneid,” said Singer. “We’ve had our chances the last few games. This win is good for us.”

The Herald-Mail Articles