Advertisement

Pa. fire destroys home

several firefighters stung by bees at scene

September 17, 2012

QUINCY, Pa. — An early-morning fire destroyed a rancher-style house Monday in Quincy Township, Pa.

The fire at 9456 Masters Road was reported at 1:22 a.m., Waynesboro (Pa.) Fire Chief Dave Martin said.

“When we got there, the house was fully involved” in flames, Martin said.

Although initially reported as a fire with entrapment, firefighters quickly determined the person believed to be inside was in Chambersburg, Pa., Martin said.

A neighbor heard popping and saw the fire, then called 911, the fire chief said.

A Pennsylvania State Police fire marshal will investigate the blaze.

Martin said several firefighters were stung by bees at the scene, and two firefighters were taken to a hospital as a precaution.

“When (insects) get under the heavy gear, it’s hard to get them out,” he said.

Crews utilized tanker trucks to haul water to the rural scene. A driveway of approximately 400 to 500 feet is used to access the home.

Approximately 50 firefighters responded from Waynesboro, Blue Ridge Summit, New Franklin, Mont Alto, Fountaindale and Greencastle in Pennsylvania, and Leitersburg and Smithsburg in Maryland. The Franklin County (Pa.) Air Unit was on the scene.

— Jennifer Fitch

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|