Coroner, police trooper testify about evidence in Pa. murder trial

September 17, 2012|By JENNIFER FITCH |
  • Jeffrey E. Miles Sr.
Jeffrey E. Miles Sr.

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — Investigators probing the 1995 disappearance of a Waynesboro, Pa., teenager knew of Jeffrey E. Miles Sr. before his alleged confession 15 years later to her bludgeoning death, a state police trooper testified in court Monday.

“I was notified by two sources his name had come up in a missing-person report,” Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Aaron B. Martin said.

Franklin County (Pa.) Court of Common Pleas Judge Carol Van Horn presided over Monday’s preliminary hearing for Miles, 49, on a criminal homicide charge. State police allege Miles beat 17-year-old Angie Lynn Daley with a board in 1995.

Police discovered Daley’s skeletal remains on April 6, 2010, the same day they found a body in Waynesboro, Pa., woods. Miles, of State Line, Pa., is being prosecuted separately in that case, which involves the stabbing death of Kristy Dawn Hoke of Hagerstown.

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty in the Hoke case.

On Monday, Martin and Franklin County Coroner Jeffrey R. Conner testified about evidence in the Daley case as Van Horn decided whether the criminal charge should remain in place. She ruled the case should continue through the judicial system.

Martin said Miles guided him to the spot where Daley’s remains were found on a farm between Washington and Antrim townships in southern Franklin County. Martin said they stopped first at the state police barrack, and shortly before they did, someone told him of a possible connection to Daley.

“He was mentioned, I believe, in a missing-person report generated by the Waynesboro Police Department,” Martin said.

Daley’s father dropped her off at a friend’s house Aug. 24, 1995. Her family never saw her again, but waited a couple of weeks before reporting her missing because she was known to stay out for a few days at a time, once hitching a ride across the country.

Conner said in court that a single tooth filling served as the first identification for Daley’s remains, which later underwent DNA testing.

Miles’ court-appointed attorney argued against a body being positively identified from one filling. In his arguments, Eric Weisbrod discussed the legal aspects of using DNA in an investigation.

“We don’t believe that is sufficient probable cause to bound this case over (for trial) as a criminal homicide case,” Weisbrod said.

Assistant District Attorney David Drumheller countered that Miles was shown a picture of Daley and allegedly described how he killed her.

“These things, your honor, all lead to the identity” of the remains, Drumheller said.

Miles allegedly told police he was smoking crack with Daley when he hit her with a 2-by-4. Police allege Miles put her in the trunk of a vehicle, drove her to the farm and hit her again twice when she asked that he not kill her. Investigators said those blows were fatal.

Miles removed most of Daley’s clothes and left her facedown but not buried, police allege.

Martin told the judge about how the discovery of the skeletal remains occurred in April 2010.

“He told me not to lose this (opportunity) and he could take me to her now. ... He directed us there from memory,” Martin said.

Miles’ case will be scheduled for mandatory arraignment. He is expected to go to trial in the Hoke case in February 2013.

The Herald-Mail Articles