Man shot by police arraigned in Berkeley County

September 14, 2012|By MATTHEW UMSTEAD |

MARTINSBURG, W.Va. — A Falling Waters, W.Va., man accused of sexually assaulting a woman last month and then holding a knife to another woman’s neck in a tense confrontation with police that ended in gunfire was arraigned Friday by a Berkeley County magistrate.

Raymond Sidney Wallace II, 23, was being held without bond Friday night at Eastern Regional Jail after being arraigned by Magistrate Jim Humphrey on two counts of sexual assault and single counts of kidnapping (hostage taking), fourth-degree attempted arson, attempted robbery, domestic assault and destruction of property, according to court and jail records. 

The confrontation with police early on the morning of Aug. 25 ended after Wallace, who was armed with what appeared to be a rifle, was shot once in the hip by a Berkeley County sheriff’s deputy outside the Falling Waters residence where police allege the crimes occurred.

Wallace’s arraignment was delayed because he was being treated at a Washington, D.C.-area hospital and had to be extradited to Berkeley County, according to police. 

Sheriff’s deputy Ralph Pierce, who shot Wallace, has been cleared to return to regular duty, Sheriff Kenneth Lemaster said this week.

The firearm in Wallace’s possession was later determined to be a pellet gun. Police also found Wallace had a butcher knife and two smaller knives.

The shooting in the first block of Yukon Drive occurred after deputies responded to City Hospital in Martinsburg at 1:13 a.m. to investigate a reported sexual assault, according to court documents.

The victim told police she was assaulted by Wallace after she went to bed about 11:30 p.m. on Aug. 24.

The woman told police that she and Wallace had been drinking rum at the Yukon Drive residence and playing cards earlier that night, according to court documents.

While at City Hospital, deputies were dispatched to the Yukon Drive residence after dispatchers received a call that Wallace was holding another woman at knifepoint there, according to court documents.

At the residence, deputies found Wallace walking out of the residence with the woman in front of him, according to court documents.

After being ordered to put down the knife and firearm, police said Wallace turned with the gun toward one of the deputies, and Pierce fired his weapon, according to police and court documents.

Police said Pierce fired his weapon four times, according to court documents.

The woman held at knifepoint told police Wallace confronted her after she arrived to secure the residence at the owner’s request.

She told police Wallace told her she couldn’t leave the home and that he then ransacked the house as if he were looking for something, before finding the pellet gun and retrieving knives from the kitchen, according to court documents.

Before deputies arrived, the woman said she slipped while Wallace was holding a knife to her neck and the knife cut the left side of her face, according to court documents.

The woman said Wallace also poured gasoline on the floor of the residence and indicated he was going to set the home on fire and was going to take her to her home in Martinsburg so he could get her money, according to court documents.

The woman said Wallace got her keys and had walked her out of the house toward her car when she saw deputies in the driveway, according to court documents.

Police said Wallace continued to resist being detained after he was shot until he was subdued with a stun gun.  

The domestic assault and destruction of property charges against Wallace stem from allegations that he kicked the front door of the Yukon Drive residence several times on Jan. 7, then broke a window to get inside and threatened to kill three people there and then burn the residence with everyone inside, according to court documents.

The Herald-Mail Articles