College Soccer: Pioneers' OT goal heads HCC into wrong direction

September 12, 2012|By JACK HILL III | Staff Correspondent
  • Hagerstown Community College's Jordan Dickins (24) tries to make a path to the goal around the defense of Anne Arundel's Matt Matousek (23) on Wednesday during the Hawks' 3-2 overtime loss.
By Joe Crocetta/Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — Hagerstown Community College’s effort extended past regulation in its men’s soccer battle against Anne Arundel.

But, unfortunately, the Pioneers used their heads to stop the Hawks.

Anne Arundel’s Rob Engel connected on a header from the left side of the net to score the winning goal on Wednesday in a 3-2 overtime victory over HCC in a Maryland JuCo Conference game.

Alex Moore’s throw-in from the right corner found Engel, who put a quick end to the game in the 99th minute for Anne Arundel (3-2-1, 2-1).

“I just made a pass to Rob at the back post and he headbutted it into the goal,” Moore said. “It was good hard work throughout the whole game. We kept our composure. It was just good all-around play by the whole team.”

But it could have been better for HCC (2-3, 2-2).

“It was evenly matched during the overtime period,” said HCC coach Brian Eichelberger. “You can’t give up a free kick right outside your goal and expect to win. We left them unmarked. There were about three guys unguarded and they found one of them. It is still early on in the season and I think that we will be OK.”

Anne Arundel coach Nick Cosentino was pleased to escape with a win.

“We just wanted to play our game,” Cosentino said. “We just continued to work on the things that we worked on in practice. It was stressful. Our fitness was in question. But I was glad that we stuck in there. Hagerstown is dangerous up front.”

HCC scored first in the got on the scoreboard first in the 20th minute when Kwasi Ofosu Ameyaw got an unassisted goal from the right side.

Anne Arundel tied the game three minutes later when Moore scored on an unassisted goal from the right side.

The Hawks regained the lead in the 35th minute when Brandon Redman scored off a corner kick from the right side for a 2-1 advantage at the half.

The Pioneers evened the score at 2-2 with 70th minute on Brady Ellis’ penalty kick through the middle.

HCC sophomore goalkeeper Chucky Kipe made 25 saves.

“We started off pretty well,” Eichelberger said. “We had high energy. We had three chances in the first half during one time span to score, but we couldn’t put the ball in. It could have easily been a 3-0 lead for us.

“During the second half, we were real sluggish. They pretty much outplayed us for the better part of the second half.”

The Herald-Mail Articles