High School Football: Wildcats no match for Campers

September 07, 2012|By KEVIN SPRADLIN | Special to the Herald-Mail

CUMBERLAND, Md. — Williamsport’s goal of making the playoffs for the second straight year took a step backward Friday night as the Wildcats were pummeled by Allegany, 51-16, at Greenway Avenue Stadium.

But with 2.6 seconds left in the game, Williamsport coach Randy Longnecker gave his team a chance to believe in itself. Williamsport was positioned at the 15-yard line. A perfect spot, Longnecker thought, to allow Ryan Shoemaker a chance to add three points with a game-ending field goal.

Longnecker called a timeout and Shoemaker made the kick. And despite a 35-point setback, there is reason to think the season isn’t yet over for the Wildcats.

“My guys have to know I believe in them,” Longnecker said. “We got beat pretty soundly tonight.”

Despite the lopsided loss — Allegany led 30-7 after the first quarter — Longnecker eyed the rest of the team’s schedule, beginning with Poolesville next week. He said it’s important for his players to learn they need “to fight for 48 minutes.”

“We still have eight more ballgames,” Longnecker said. “The next game may come down to a field goal.”

While the game ended on a positive note for Williamsport, the Campers manhandled the Wildcats for much of the preceding 47 minutes. Allegany seemed to be able to run at will.

The Campers’ halfback tandem of Christian Thomas and Madison Wolford combined for 231 yards on only 17 carries — an average of 13.5 yards per carry. Thomas scored twice, while Dalton Golliday, Carter Imes, Wade McGee, Dylan Shockey and Trenton Eirich each scored one rushing touchdown.

Allegany finished with 394 total yards of offense — all on 37 carries.

Those figures overshadowed a standout defensive performance by Wildcats cornerback Nick Berchock. The senior intercepted Allegany quarterback Imes twice. But Williamsport couldn’t take advantage of the extra possessions.

“We’re a lot better than that,” Wildcats quarterback T.J. Boyer said.

Boyer threw touchdowns of 55 and 58 yards. The first went to Jack Kelly with 4 minutes and 51 seconds left in the first quarter and pulled Williamsport within 14-7.

Allegany responded with two touchdowns and a safety — one of two on the night — to end the first half with a 37-7 advantage.

Senior wide receiver Jesse Zeger hauled in Boyer’s second scoring pass with 3:25 left in the third quarter. By then, Allegany led 43-13 and the much of the rest of the game was played with a running clock.

Williamsport had a balanced offensive effort as 115 of the team’s 218 total yards on offense came through the air. All but two of those yards, though, came on just two plays. Boyer completed nine of 23 passes.

The Herald-Mail Articles