High school football: Hubs blow out Lewis

September 01, 2012|By MARK KELLER |
  • North Hagerstown's Kyle Hewlett breaks several tackles during a first-quarter play Friday night.
By Joe Crocetta/Staff Photographer

HAGERSTOWN — It didn’t take long for Tre Anderson to set the tone for the evening Friday at Mike Callas Stadium.

North Hagerstown’s senior running back scampered 75 yards for a touchdown on the first play from scrimmage in the 2012 football season and the Hubs went on to blow out Reginald F. Lewis 66-14 on a muggy night at North.

The Hubs (1-0) rolled up 372 yards on the ground and Nick Karlen added 99 yards passing and two touchdowns.

North also took advantage of five Lewis turnovers, including four interceptions.

The Hubs scored on two of their first three offensive plays to take a quick 14-0 lead. Two plays after Austin Stone intercepted a pass from Lewis’ Tayvon Queen, Kyle Hewlett sprinted 25 yards for a touchdown.

But the Falcons stormed right back and evened the score. On the next play from scrimmage, Queen connected with Kavon Wiley for an 80-yard touchdown pass. Donnie Neal added the two-point conversion and Lewis cut the deficit to 14-8.

On the ensuing kickoff, Anderson returned the ball to the Lewis 44 before fumbling. The Falcons recovered the ball, but paid a steep price on the play as Carron Davis suffered a severe leg injury and had to be carted from the field.

The game was delayed for nearly 25 minutes as trainers and medical staff attended to Davis. When play resumed, Neal took a handoff up the middle and went 56 yards for a touchdown. The Hubs stuffed the two-point attempt and kept the score knotted at 14.

It was the last time in the game Lewis made a serious threat at the end zone.

The Hubs, meanwhile, had little trouble finding the goal line. They scored five touchdowns in a first quarter that lasted nearly an hour. Karlen threw the first of his two touchdowns to Gabriel Fridgen with 5:26 remaining in the first to give North the lead for good at 21-14.

After a 1-yard punt by the Falcons gave the Hubs possession at the Lewis 30, Hewlett needed just one carry to hit paydirt and make it 28-14 with 3:16 left.

Lewis’ next possession ended with Queen scrambling and fumbling the ball right at the feet of North’s Jonathan Forrest. One play later, Isaiah Keyes went off tackle for 16 yards and a 34-14 lead with 2:09 left.

Anderson added a 5-yard touchdown run and Hewlett caught a 20-yard touchdown pass from Karlen in the second quarter to make it 46-14 at halftime.

Keyes had a 62-yard touchdown run in the third quarter and Preston Carey and Dexter Aviles tacked on scoring runs in the fourth for the Hubs.

Keyes had 117 rushing yards, Anderson finished with 110 and Hewlett had 68.

The Herald-Mail Articles