CASCADE — HazMat crews rushed to the Winebrenner Wastewater Treatment Plant near Fort Ritchie on Monday morning after a malfunctioning valve caused chlorine to leak from a 150-gallon tank, according to Kevin Jones, a rescue sergeant with Leitersburg Volunteer Fire Co.
He said the leak posed no danger to residents in the area.
Emergency personnel received a call shortly after 7:30 a.m. for a chlorine leak that caused a cloud to form inside a building on the property, but Jones said the cloud had dissipated by the time responders arrived.
“This is something that apparently was going on last night” and continued into Monday morning, Jones said.
About 4 pounds of chlorine escaped before responders discovered the leak was coming from a valve on the tank, Jones said. Once they knew the cause of the leak, they were able to remedy the situation.
He said there was no need to evacuate residents living nearby.