Teenager killed in July 2010 car crash was 'giving, very friendly'

August 09, 2012|By JENNIFER FITCH |
  • Angalena K, Robinson, 16, died in a July 29, 2010, crash near the intersection of Mentzer Gap and Tomstown roads in Quincy Township, Pa.
File photo

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. — Angalena K. Robinson was the kind of teenager who made her parents proud.

The 16-year-old split her time between cheerleading and volunteering with homeless animals and youths with special needs. She was a favorite among customers at the McDonald’s where she worked, and she helped a girl being bullied on the school bus.

“She was very giving, very friendly and never shy,” said her father, Dwayne Robinson.

The girl knew how to speak her mind, he said.

“She was so full of life,” said her mother, Tammy Lushbaugh.

A car crash killed Angalena after her junior year at Waynesboro (Pa.) Area Senior High School on July 29, 2010, near her home in Quincy Township, Pa. The woman at fault, Mary E. Bonebrake, was sentenced Thursday to three years in state prison.

Interviewed before the sentencing, Angalena’s parents already were frustrated with the way Bonebrake’s case proceeded through the court system. They anticipated she would receive the mandatory minimum sentences under a plea agreement.

“It’s terrible. I’ve seen people with lesser charges get more time,” Robinson said.

Angalena’s family is fighting to bring about harsher minimum sentences for people found guilty of vehicular homicide while driving under the influence. They are gathering signatures on a petition and preparing to ask the Pennsylvania General Assembly to make those changes.

Family spokeswoman Charlee Landis said they will be talking to legislators and working in earnest on the cause they call “Lena’s Law” in coming months.

Since Angalena’s death, the house has been empty, Lushbaugh said.

“Angalena was the heart of the family,” she said.

Angalena’s family takes the girl’s 1972 Pontiac LeMans to car shows. Lushbaugh fondly remembers the girl working on it just days before her death.

“She was full of grease in her ears and everything,” Lushbaugh said. “That was her proudest day.”

The Herald-Mail Articles