Bond remains at $600,000 for Fairplay man charged in Hagerstown stabbing

July 23, 2012|By DAN DEARTH |
  • Robert Wayne Brechbill
Submitted photo

Bond for a Fairplay man who was charged over the weekend with stabbing another man in the neck remained at $600,000 Monday.

Washington County District Judge Mark D. Thomas ruled not to change the bond amount for Robert W. Brechbill during a bond-review hearing that was transmitted on a live television feed between district court and the Washington County Detention Center.

Defense attorney Michael Wilson asked Thomas to lower the bond, saying Brechbill wasn’t a flight risk because he turned himself in to authorities.

“I believe the bond is reasonable and will remain as currently set,” Thomas said.

Brechbill, 25, of 17920 Lappans Road, was charged with two counts each of attempted second-degree murder, first-degree assault, second-degree assault, reckless endangerment and carrying a dangerous weapon with intent to injure.

If convicted on all counts, Brechbill faces a maximum of 146 years in prison and $17,000 in fines.

Officers were called at 3:43 a.m. Saturday for a report of an assault at 1344 Jay Drive near E. Russell Hicks Middle School, according to the application for statement of charges obtained Monday from district court.

Police said they found that a man identified as Brian Clark had been stabbed in the neck, and another man named Michael Burris had a severe cut to his right index finger.

An investigation showed that Brechbill was at a party at the home earlier in the evening and was kicked out after he got into an argument with another guest, the statement of charges said. 

At about 3 a.m. Saturday, Brechbill called the lessee of the residence and “threatened that he was coming back to the party with a gun to shoot people,” documents allege.

Police said Brechbill returned at 3:40 a.m. and got into a fight with several people in the front yard.

“Witnesses at the scene described how Brechbill was holding a knife in his hand and swung it at Michael Burris,” according to the statement of charges. “Burris blocked the swing with his hand, but received a severe cut to his right index finger as a result. He punched Brechbill, knocking him to the ground, but Brechbill got back up.”

Officers said in the statement of charges that Brechbill then lunged at Clark, stabbing him in the neck with an 8-inch long, folding-type knife.

Witnesses told police that Brechbill fled the scene.

Hagerstown Police Chief Arthur Smith said Clark was taken to Meritus Medical Center east of Hagerstown for a wound that was not life-threatening.

He said Brechbill surrendered Sunday at the Washington County Detention Center.

The Herald-Mail Articles