Advertisement

Fire leaves Jefferson County family homeless

July 19, 2012|By RICHARD F. BELISLE | richardb@herald-mail.com
  • Ed Hannon, chief of Independent Fire Co., talks to media at the scene of a house fire Thursday at 89 Boxwood Court north of Charles Town, W.Va.
By Richard F. Belisle/Reporter

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. — A noontime fire left a family of five homeless Thursday in a blaze the owner believed was started in a clothes dryer panel box.
 
Heather Turner said was home with her three children, ages 6, 8 and 10, when the fire broke out in the green vinyl-sided rancher at 89 Boxwood Road off Flowing Springs Road several miles north of Charles Town.
 
There were no injuries.
 
There was no immediate damage estimate, but Ed Hannon, chief of Independent Fire Company, said flames were seen in the attic area when the first units arrived. Damage from fire, smoke and water appeared to be substantial.
 
Turner said her car, in the garage, was unscathed. "But I don't know where my keys are. They're someplace in the house," she said.

She said she didn't know where her family would find temporary lodging while their home is repaired. "We'll find someplace to go," she said.
 
The fire was the second devastating event to affect the family this week. "Granddad died Tuesday and my house caught on fire Thursday," she said.
 
Calling hours for William Dunn were scheduled for Thursday evening, but a utility pole outside the funeral was struck by a vehicle cutting off power to the facility. Turner learned at the fire scene that calling hours were not going to be held Thursday as a result.
 
Hannon said fire and rescue units from Jefferson and Berkeley counties in West Virginia and Washington County were at the scene.

Advertisement
The Herald-Mail Articles
|
|
|