Hagerstown man enters Alford plea to 2nd-degree assault in home invasion

Curtis Evans sentenced to 15 months in county detention center

July 16, 2012|By DON AINES |
  • Curtis Evans
Submitted photo

An 18-year-old Hagerstown man charged in a February armed home invasion entered an Alford plea Monday in Washington County Circuit Court to second-degree assault and was sentenced to 15 months in the county detention center.

Curtis Evans, of 916 Lanvale St., was 17 years old when the incident occurred Feb. 26 in the 900 block of Main Avenue, according to the application for statement of charges filed by Hagerstown police. He was scheduled to be in court for a hearing to determine whether his case should be transferred to juvenile court.

In exchange for the Alford plea, Assistant State’s Attorney Michele Hansen told Circuit Judge Donald E. Beachley that other first- and second-degree assault charges would be dismissed, along with reckless endangerment, burglary and firearms charges.

Under an Alford plea, a defendant does not admit guilt but acknowledges the state has sufficient evidence to gain a conviction.

Three juveniles allegedly purchased marijuana from Evans at the house and went into a bathroom to smoke it, Hansen said while reading from the statement of facts. Several individuals entered the house and broke into the bathroom, she said.

One of the juveniles was struck with an unknown object and another was hit in the head with a pistol, Hansen said. The victims identified Evans as the person holding the gun, she said.

A shot was fired during the incident, but no one was hit, Hansen said after the sentencing.

Beachley sentenced Evans, who was on juvenile probation at the time of the incident, to seven years in state prison, suspending all but 15 months to be served in the detention center. Evans will be on probation for three years following his release.

None of the victims was present in the courtroom. Hansen said the woman who rented the house was seeking $200 in restitution for damage from the break-in.

“She was participating in felonies taking place in her residence,” Beachley said. “I’m not giving her any restitution.”

Hansen said afterward that the woman has left the area.

The Herald-Mail Articles